In need of suggestions and criticism.....

ITheWitchfinder

• Members

I am currently starting a band with my brother. This band is an intricate mixture of Alt-Country/Indie Rock (Wilco,Neil Young,Ryan Adams type stuff). I plan on playing bass for this group and need a few suggestions or criticism for the stuff I plan on playing. I lack experience in Bass equipment because I have always played guitar and just need some advice.

I plan on using: Fender Mustang Bass

Ampeg Micro VR Head

Ampeg 4/10 Cab

• Members

I'm not particularly fond of the Mustang, but if you want a bass that goes "thump" it'll do the job. For what you are playing, that's probably all you'll need. If you want to get slappy in a funk band, then the Mustang is going to fall flat.

I'd definitely suggest more power from the amp if you can afford it. Go used and you can snag a more powerful amp for the same price as a new Micro VR. The country band I play in now is pretty loud for a country band, and I have to turn up my amps to keep up with gorilla drumming and monitors that only get turned up instead of evened out. Of course, if the rest of your band is sensible then you may not need any more power.

• Members

The weak link would be the micro VR. The VR is a good amp but you may be wanting more. Up it to an Ampeg PF-500 and it should open the cab up more. It's better to have that extra headroom and power in reserve if needed.

• Members

The weak link would be the micro VR. The VR is a good amp but you may be wanting more. Up it to an Ampeg PF-500 and it should open the cab up more. It's better to have that extra headroom and power in reserve if needed.

He'll need it!

Archived