First bass

HikaruGunner

• Members

I play electric guitar and I'm gonna buy a cheap bass just to fool around with, but want to get the most bang for the buck (don't we all?)

So at first I was thinking if getting me a SX bass guitar, something like this:http://www.tiendamusicasa.es/Articulo/BAJ_ELE_SX_SJB57CV.aspx?

Or maybe a Jack and Danny bass: http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Basses/4-strings/Jack-and-Danny-150A-STBN-Satin-Brown/art-BAS0003160-000

I read several good reviews on SX basses, but not for this jack and danny bass, anyone played this model? It's a little cheaper than the SX and it's good looking too. I was looking for not spending more than 200 euros, including taxes. Anyone has any other recommendation?

• Members

Paul Stanley signature Les Paul. The signature adds to the tone.

*snicker*

These basses aren't knock-em-dead pieces of fine craftsmanship, but they are instruments. That being said, if you play guitar, and can tell/feel the quality differences between guitars, you should be able to tell the differences in cheap basses as well.

Just don't order anything you cannot go and demo in a store right now. Buy the instrument you can actually pick up and test-drive.

Ibanez has treated me very well in my days, from my Ebay $300 black backup, to my $1100 Prestige, to my Gary Willis fretless. I would recommend trying out a few Ibanez products too see if you like them.

• Members

Unfortunately I don't find any of these brands on stores nearby to demo before buying them. I could buy a Ibanez around 200 euros (in fact a friend of mine has a ibanez that comes on one of those jumpstart packs and looks pretty decent to me), but I thought I would get more bang for the buck if I buy one of the basses I mentioned on my first post ( example: better wood quality).

What I can do is take the guitar to a luthier if it's unplayable, but then again, most basses/guitars of any brand require one anyways after exiting the factory.

Thank you very much for the reply's

• Members

Do you have any guitar stores near you? You'll be better off buying from a dealer than ordering online if possible.

Prices in Europe always seem inflated compared to American prices, but you should still be able to get a Squier at an affordable price. The most recent Squiers are pretty good all around, and while they might cost a little more than the SX they are generally better made as well.

• Members

Find a used Peavey or Fender somewhere... Most of those budget basses aren't a great deal unless you know how to patch and fix things (fret leveling, shielding, etc)

Chunks is right.

You pay the same money or more getting a new entry level bass than you do getting a better or even a very good used one.

SX and Squire Affinity want taking care of before they will do you good. That will cost you more money. At the prices for used stuff these days it's a no brainer.

Put some effort into it and go used.

You can thank us later. ;)

• Members

Unfortunately I don't find any of these brands on stores nearby to demo before buying them. I could buy a Ibanez around 200 euros (in fact a friend of mine has a ibanez that comes on one of those jumpstart packs and looks pretty decent to me), but I thought I would get more bang for the buck if I buy one of the basses I mentioned on my first post ( example: better wood quality).

What I can do is take the guitar to a luthier if it's unplayable, but then again, most basses/guitars of any brand require one anyways after exiting the factory.

Thank you very much for the reply's

I don't think you can go wrong with an Ibanez in the stable. I have an SRT-800DX that is a really wonderful instrument.

• Members

Most entry level basses I've seen need the nut slots filed lower to get them easily playable. The Ibanez Mikro's I have were almost OK when new - dunno about other Ibanez's but probably half decent too. The Squire Mustang I recently bought is the only one of my dozen shortscales that I haven't needed to file. But in any case any new bass needs to go to the shop for a setup if you want to not be discouraged by a hard-to-play instrument - the cheaper it was the more desperately that's required IMO. If you already know how to set the truss rod and bridge saddles it isn't hard to learn how to file nuts but the tools aren't cheap - I paid about $65 for my nut file set...

• Members

Got four Ibanez basses, all 5-stringers.

SR-305 natural finish

SR-305 black (my most consistent bass, and backup at every gig)

SR-1005 violin finish

Gary Willis Signature fretless

None of these basses have disappointed me.

• Members

Youd be far better off buying used. SX basses arre natorious for needing work to be good players. And they have qaulity issues for things like cheap soft metal for the frets as well. Buying a used Ibanez, Peavey, Esp ltd, or similiar would get you a much better bass imo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Buy used..get quality and make. Don't do what I did and buy something just because it was financially feasible at the time. I paid dearly for it in the end and ended up with a real quality instrument after I got rid of several cheapos. Quality and brand and be sure to try b4 u buy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived