A good low-budget bass preamp pedal with compression and EQ?

arcadesonfire

• Members

Hiya,

Quick question: What would you recommend in a preamp (pedal, rack, whatever--no switch needed) that has compression and/or drive plus a good EQ. A parametric EQ would be superb, but not totally necessary. Does such a unit exist under $400 (or under $250 used)? I don't need a super high-quality unit, just something with these features. So i'm looking for recommendations. Thanks!

And here's what i'm using it for and why i won't be too picky:

I play electric guitar in my band, which just lost our bass player. So for now, I'm playing my guitar through the Boss Super Octave pedal which lets me send out a lower octave just for the E and A strings while the rest of the chords go to my guitar effects/amps.

At gigs so far, people have said it works and they don't miss the bass player much. I've been pumping the bass into venues' PA systems using my old Digitech 2112 as the preamp. I use a bit of compression and drive plus and a paremetric EQ to clean up the low end and sharpen the 4k-6k range, making it sound more like a bass guitar. But the 2112 is rather noisy; it's almost 20 years old. It makes the tone from the Super Octave pedal more present and distinct from my guitar sound, and it helps the bass pump through the PA with consistent volume, but it adds noise to the PA, especially if i use the 2112's tube drive to add grit. So I'd like to accomplish this with a more modern, clean pedal. No tubes necessary. Thanks again!

• Members

I'm not certain what you consider "low budget," but this would be one suggestion I can think of that may be worth a look....

This looks like it might be exactly what i'm looking for. I've never dabbled in bass amps/effects, so i didn't even know where to start. Now i do. Thanks!

• Members

The Eden WTDI. I've used it to completely bypass a house bass rig. Sounded like ME through someone else's rig.

The compressor is not an elephant-stomp superstrong compressor. It is musical, it helps even things out, but it will still allow you to get your dynamics. the EQ section is quite touchy, so don't overdo it. And if you crank the gain you can get some truly gnarly growl and grit. Not a distortion pedal, but pushed-preamp growl and overdrive.

Archived