NBD!

Avalanchemaster

• Members

Well after quite a time deliberating over this, reading reviews, checking vids, and just general GASsy obsession, I took the plunge and bought:

527016_4322830191575_1552182133_n.jpg

Cort Curbow 5!

It had a completely flat neck, with new D'Addarios... tuned it up, did a quick relief adjustment, preliminary saddle adjustments- probably tomorrow I will adjust pickup height. This is the Bartolini pickup version- it seems to sound best with the slap switch turned on- as many folks noted in reviews. It just gives it oomph! The neck is awesome- thin, fast... and the ebanol has a sort of mirror finish- with its lack of fretmarkers, it looks like recycled vader parts... ha! The only thing that is weird is that (and I have looked at several pics online) from the bridge (which is sort of tilted back on the edge of the body) to the pickup, there is a slight dip... some say it is the luthite warping- I think it might just be normal- I could be wrong though. It plays fine though and is pretty damn nifty (the bass- not the "nuanced" body) actually!

196669_4322859512308_1814308063_n.jpg

you tell me...

• Members

My arsenal, for the time being, is complete: 6 string RBX6jm Yamaha Myung bass- aquamarine; custom defretted ESP LTD b206 6 string fretless; ibanez sr400 fretless- black; Cort Curbow 5 black... yippppeeee! I wanted a 5 string fretted bass- Mission accomplished! $450 off fleabay- with free shipping...

• Members

Provided it didn't have the mightymite pickup (instead of the Bartolini mk-1), it sounds like a steal...

there are some other good deals on Ebay right now. I could have got one used that looked to be in great condition- red- for less... some fretless ones too! You gotta take what you can get when you can! I am wondering how the new soft maple body/dual pickup models play and sound...

• Members

Looks to me like that dip between bridge,and pickup are intentional to get the bridge in the correct position.At least from the pic.

yes, after looking at as many pics as possible online, and contacting the seller, it seems to be the case... just seems odd- and I was leary after reading that this was an issue... however, I am thinking it isn't the case for most of these folks- it is intentionally built this way.

The thing plays great... but with setting it up I am finding that perfect medium of saddle adjustments per intonation; My B string saddle is almost all the way back- I think I need more relief in the neck. Doesn't lowering the saddle towards the body in effect lower the tuning? So if this is correct, I could probably add relief and lower the saddles and then hopefully the B would play in tune all along the neck.

As it stands currently, the notes get really sharp up high. I think at the 24th it goes to almost a c!!! Now that I think about it, I need to go back and "fine-tune" the intonation on my other basses so that they are better up in the higher registers. One of my basses has issues up high where I have to bend the string a little bit to be "exactly" in tune. I have used Kindness' bass setup thread... and I just need to use the combination of relief and saddle height/position to get this intonation under control. Otherwise, this bass is awesome and the lessons of setting them up are invaluable... I have nearly mastered setting up tremolo bridges on guitars- this is almost a snap in comparison!

• Members

Nice going, that thing looks cool and I love the one pup format. Nothing warped, no worries. The intonation might be tricky but you sound like you're up to the task and at worse you'll be able to live with compromises way up yonder on them there high frets.

I do have a question; around how much does the whole thing weigh?

• Members

I have not actually weighed it. A search revealed that it is supposed to be at 7lb 12oz. I am using a regular thin strap (have not put in strap locks yet) rather than my usual padded strap- I do not get shoulder fatigue or neck issues whatsoever. It's light and fast to play- with great sound. I might just take this one in to get set up though.

Archived