Bass Amp Suggestions?

Alan Roberts

• Members

I know you guys probably get asked this all the time but I didn't see another thread in the first 3 pages that answered my question, so here goes:

What are your suggestions for combo bass amps that also have a good sounding line out? I'd like to keep the budget around $500 or less and prefer buying used. Light weight would definitely be a plus...

• Members

What type of music do you play? Is it for home practice or for small gigs or both?

Probably a variety of music styles but not anything heavy. And yes, it'd be used both to practice and for gigs in small rooms or basically as a stage monitor with a signal ran to the board. I've been a guitar player for 35 years and am considering taking up bass in a side project doing either blues, classic rock, country, pop or some combination of those. :lol:

• Members

Another vote for TC Electronics. I have one of their heads and it is a pretty great piece of kit.

Interesting - I didn't know they were making bass amps. I don't think I've seen anyone using one but I'll see if I can track one down to play through.

• Members

I don't currently own any combos, I prefer the modular amp + cab approach. But I can tell you some I've spent a lot of time with:

One vote here for a workhorse combo, the Markbass CMD102P is a really great 2X10 combo that includes the venerable Little Mark II head. There were many thousands sold, and they do show up from time to time in classifieds and auction sites.

If $ is no object, I personally would love to own the Mesa Walkabout Scout, in either the 1X12 or 1X15 version, a really great, ballsy combo.

If you are lucky, you can find both of these at your local mega-music-retailer to try out.

• Members

I agree with getting components. There are great combos, and I know you have your budget (don't we all) but you will have more flexibility in the long run.

Don't forget that with Bass you may find you want more amp presence on stage than you think...

• Members

Acoustic bass amps are on sale at Guitar Center right now. You can get the B200 combo for $199 or kick it up to 400 watts for $350. Add a 15 inch cab for $129

At these prices and for the quality of the sound they give I would recommend you check them out.

I've had my B200 combo for 2 years now and it is excellent for my needs and has been trouble free.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic1,Bass-Amplifiers-Amplifiers.gc

• Members

Speaker size really is personal preference. I've used 10s forever, but I think if I ever get around to upgrading my cabs I'll go to 12s to get a little more warmth in the low end. Good 15s have a really nice punch on the lows, but don't always have really defined highs.

The only thing that I require in a cab anymore is that if it has a tweeter, it can be turned off. I hate the way they sound on bass. Maybe some hi-end company makes a cab with tweeters that sounds great, but I haven't heard one yet.

Archived