New Amp Day

AlvarHanso

• Members

So they opened a new Guitar Center here in Fayetteville last night, and tons of people showed up, I left with my ears ringing from the guitar players trying to play louder than each other. But I also fell in love with the new Acoustic B100 MKII. I used to have the B200, but downgraded to the B20 when I stopped playing in a band, finding it plenty powerful enough for loose jamming situations. So, I went back today, and unloaded two basses I never play anymore, and an envelope filter I was sporadically playing, but only with guitar. (The envelope filter may be a decision I regret later, but c'est la vie.)

I noticed this B100 was slightly different than the older version, but didn't know it was completely revamped. Now it has a built in compressor, an overdrive, an XLR direct out, as well as controls for the DO, and a -10db pad for active/passive. When I finally got to jam a bit due to the overflow crowds, I found this thing is just like Acoustic amps I've come to love: loud, powerful, and tonally perfect for what I want. I even cranked it a bit just to drive the guitarists nuts as I did the rumbling intro to The Other One and played the rhythm with chords. That sent them to cranking their own amps to piercing levels, but demonstrated to me that going to 2 o'clock could give the Nigel Tufnel wannabes an inferiority complex.

Sorry for the long story. But I'm excited. I've been doing some searches and didn't know that Acoustic was coming out with these. Apparently, they're so new, Musician's Friend and Guitar Center.com don't have photos up, and they don't even have the B100 MKII listed. They've upped the prices a bit, so this one was $299, where I think the old version was usually $199-$249, and the new B200 will be $449 instead of $349-399. In the end I paid $40 for the 2 year extended warranty and got an XLR cable thrown in.

Hope to get some jamming and recording done with this bad boy in the next few days!

Archived