Which Bass would you get.

boytbpc

• Members

So, I started the thread re: the 1989 Fender Power Jazz Bass Special, but have other offers, so I figured I'd make one thread to discuss the offers and what I am looking for and see where this goes.

I am offering on my local Kijiji a 2007 Gretsch G5125 in great shape to trade for an electric bass. Value around $600.

I want: something versatile (able to handle modern rock/classic rock/alt-country/etc), not too pointy, and not {censored}ty.

Here is what has been offered:

Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV + $150

Fender Standard Jazz Bass 2005 (MIM)

Fender Power Jazz Bass Special (1989)

Hagstrom 8 string bass

I'll update the list as it grows.

Out of those three, what say you?

• Moderators

I'm not a fan of Thunderbirds. The balance is way off, neck dive is the worst of any bass I've ever played, and I had to reach way out to play the lower frets. Something cool to have, but never as my main bass.

I have two Hagstrom 8 strings. Short scale. Very fast neck. Strung with four strings, it plays like a dream. 8 string basses are a niche instrument, though, not appropriate in a lot of situations. The pickups don't impress me. They don't have a rich low end, and not a huge amount of highs, either. The switches aren't the most reliable, either. I keep mine because they're cool to have, and because I figure they'll be handy if arthritis makes it hard to play my Rics.

That leaves the Jazz basses. I don't know enough about them to say with any authority. Based on what I've heard, I'd lean toward the MIJ bass. People say they're very well made.

• Members

I'm not a fan of Thunderbirds. The balance is way off, neck dive is the worst of any bass I've ever played, and I had to reach way out to play the lower frets. Something cool to have, but never as my main bass.

That would be my only argument against the Thunderbird.

It the Fender universe, the MIJ's are way better than the MIM's.

Given your options... you don't really have a lot of options.

• Members

Unseen and untested ?

The Jazz Special hands down. As mentioned japanese build Fenders are usually well made. On par with or better than american build ones of that era and are beyond the mexican ones.

The T-bird is pure rock'n'roll and top heavy like Dolly Parton.

The Hagstr

• Members

Going to see a mystery "GK 5 string bass" that the owner knows nothing about. Hopefully I didn't get raped and murdered, or murdered and raped.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently a cheap chinese import bass that was sold at a lot of stores in Montreal.

• Members

I want: something versatile (able to handle modern rock/classic rock/alt-country/etc), not too pointy, and not {censored}ty.

• Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV + $150

• Fender Standard Jazz Bass 2005 (MIM)

• Fender Power Jazz Bass Special (1989)

• Hagstrom 8 string bass

Nix to the T-bird and the Hagstrom. The Epi version sounds nothing like the Gibson original. As for the H8, Isaac42 is going to kill me for saying this, but they're not very versatile.

I'd go with either Fender, and would pick the Fender Power Jazz Bass Special if you're looking for versatile tones.

YMMV

• Moderators

Nix to the T-bird and the Hagstrom. The Epi version sounds nothing like the Gibson original. As for the H8, Isaac42 is going to kill me for saying this, but they're not very versatile.

I'd go with either Fender, and would pick the Fender Power Jazz Bass Special if you're looking for versatile tones.

YMMV

Why would I kill you for saying that? After all, I said much the same thing myself up the thread a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived