Who here plays bass AND sings lead vocals?

Mermph

• Moderators

I came to it from the other direction. I started out as a lead singer. I also played a little guitar, but not in the band. We couldn't find a bass player, so I was pressed into service. As Jerry_L said, the bass lines were very simple while I was singing. With time, I got better. Now, some forty years later, I do pretty well.

So, how do you learn to sing and play bass at the same time? Practice. A lot. Take your time. Simplify when necessary; you can unsimplify things later on. Practice some more. Learn the bass line so well that you can play it without thinking. Do the same with the vocal line. Then combine them again. Practice some more. One specific thing I do that sometimes helps: look for a note in the bass line that coincides with the vocal line. This will help link them together. Such notes are often not the obvious ones. Practice some more.

• Members

I came to it from the other direction. I started out as a lead singer. I also played a little guitar, but not in the band. We couldn't find a bass player, so I was pressed into service. As Jerry_L said, the bass lines were very simple while I was singing. With time, I got better. Now, some forty years later, I do pretty well.

So, how do you learn to sing and play bass at the same time? Practice. A lot. Take your time. Simplify when necessary; you can unsimplify things later on. Practice some more. Learn the bass line so well that you can play it without thinking. Do the same with the vocal line. Then combine them again. Practice some more. One specific thing I do that sometimes helps: look for a note in the bass line that coincides with the vocal line. This will help link them together. Such notes are often not the obvious ones. Practice some more.

Good advice, Isaac. That's the only way to do it.

• Members

I do - mean, I did in my last band.. doing guitar an backups now..

I did like Geddy did. Learn to play the part so that it becomes a part of you, then just sing over it. Its hard at first, but once you really get the hang of it, its a blast!

You might not get a lot of the bass from this recording, but here's an old original tune with a pretty fun bassline [video=youtube;_VsvjQQn3II]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VsvjQQn3II&list=FLILIFo1yyDsmaVDXm1jiGqg&index=2&feature=plpp_video

• Members

Sorry for the drive by posting and all (I haven't been here in years, I think ;) )...

Anyhow, I play upright bass in a string band and an acoustic duo, and I sing both harmonies and lead parts.

Issac is spot on.

It is a time and facility issue. It took a long time to get to where I could sing and play bass (even when I could sing and play guitar or piano, or play guitar while kicking simple bass pedals and playing harmonica :D ). It is just a hard thing that takes a long time and a lot facility on the instrument to do at all (never mind well).

But it is do-able. People do it. You can do it. If you keep trying.

That is all. Carry on.

• Members

avanti 12 bottle wine cooler 1963 studebaker avanti for sale soif santa cruz certified avanti for sale black piece completer set piaggio avanti airplane antique avanti cars avanti mbd5l stainless steel beverage dispenser

1964 studebaker avanti avanti condoms review avanti extra large toaster oven avanti refrigerators prices avanti condoms discontinued avast registration home edition avanti studebaker for sale michelle avanti download

used avanti cars sango avanti black 16 michelle avanti download avast home edition windows 7 avanti automobile for sale avanti d 24 electric dryer avanti-piaggio avanti specs avanti mbd5l 16

durex avanti avanti refrigerators stores avanti appliances reviews vulcan range reviews used studebaker avanti for sale p180 avanti ii studebaker avanti classifieds avanti appliances reviews

• Members

avanti 12 bottle wine cooler 1963 studebaker avanti for sale soif santa cruz certified avanti for sale black piece completer set piaggio avanti airplane antique avanti cars avanti mbd5l stainless steel beverage dispenser

1964 studebaker avanti avanti condoms review avanti extra large toaster oven avanti refrigerators prices avanti condoms discontinued avast registration home edition avanti studebaker for sale michelle avanti download

used avanti cars sango avanti black 16 michelle avanti download avast home edition windows 7 avanti automobile for sale avanti d 24 electric dryer piaggio avanti specs avanti mbd5l 16

durex avanti avanti refrigerators stores avanti appliances reviews vulcan range reviews used studebaker avanti for sale p180 avanti ii studebaker avanti classifieds avanti appliances reviews

how do you say "I am a total douche nozzle" in polish??

Archived