Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here plays bass AND sings lead vocals?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here plays bass AND sings lead vocals?

I'm practicing but it is hard.
    He ate all of the crackers, and then he ate all of the cheese.

I do it sometimes. The bass line gets a lot sparser when I'm singing.

Comment

Did you mean full time lead or some lead? I'm in the second category.

Comment

I do, sometimes. My band, we all share vocals. I have the Rob Halford to David Lee Roth vibe. One guitarist has a really high pitched thing goin on. One guitarist is kinda in the middle, and the drummer does the doorsish, lower pitched stuff. Makes the cover band more versatile
        Perry
        www.myspace.com/badhabit00

Basses -
        MTD KZ-5
        MTD Artist 5
        Ibanez SRT-800DX
        Spector NS-2 (korean)
        Peavey G bass

Rig -
        Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 atop two Phil Jones Bass 4b 4X5 cabs

Comment

"The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
          -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
          -- Theodore White

Comment

I'm practicing but it is hard.

Yup. The bass line and the vocals can be doing different things and keeping them straight is a challenge.
            "If you don't feel like dancing when you play, neither will anyone else." Bassgeek

Musicman StingRay 5 Fretless H Piezo / G&L L2500 MIA / Reverend Rumblefish 5XL
            Reverend Rumblefish 5L FS PM
            Epiphone Les Paul
            Mesa Boogie 400+ (backup amp)
            Hughes & Kettner Fortress / QSC PLX 1804 / Bergantino NV412
            Eden WT800B / Peavey 215
            Markbass Little Mark II (backup amp)
            Eden Nemesis ENX-260 / Mesa Boogie PH112 / Mesa Boogie PH112

Comment

I came to it from the other direction. I started out as a lead singer. I also played a little guitar, but not in the band. We couldn't find a bass player, so I was pressed into service. As Jerry_L said, the bass lines were very simple while I was singing. With time, I got better. Now, some forty years later, I do pretty well.

So, how do you learn to sing and play bass at the same time? Practice. A lot. Take your time. Simplify when necessary; you can unsimplify things later on. Practice some more. Learn the bass line so well that you can play it without thinking. Do the same with the vocal line. Then combine them again. Practice some more. One specific thing I do that sometimes helps: look for a note in the bass line that coincides with the vocal line. This will help link them together. Such notes are often not the obvious ones. Practice some more.
              "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
              -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
              -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
              -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
              -- Theodore White

Comment

I do it sometimes. The bass line gets a lot sparser when I'm singing.

Yea. I can only sing lead and play very simple stuff, where I can just put the bass on autopilot.

Comment

I came to it from the other direction. I started out as a lead singer. I also played a little guitar, but not in the band. We couldn't find a bass player, so I was pressed into service. As Jerry_L said, the bass lines were very simple while I was singing. With time, I got better. Now, some forty years later, I do pretty well.

So, how do you learn to sing and play bass at the same time? Practice. A lot. Take your time. Simplify when necessary; you can unsimplify things later on. Practice some more. Learn the bass line so well that you can play it without thinking. Do the same with the vocal line. Then combine them again. Practice some more. One specific thing I do that sometimes helps: look for a note in the bass line that coincides with the vocal line. This will help link them together. Such notes are often not the obvious ones. Practice some more.

Good advice, Isaac. That's the only way to do it.

Comment

I saw an interview with Geddy one time and the question came up. He said that he learns the bass part first to the point to where he doesn't have to think to play it, and then works in the vocals afterward. It is a good approach. I use it when I have to learn new stuff.
                    Perry

Basses -
                    MTD KZ-5
                    MTD Artist 5
                    Ibanez SRT-800DX
                    Spector NS-2 (korean)
                    Peavey G bass

Rig -

Comment

I do - mean, I did in my last band.. doing guitar an backups now..

I did like Geddy did. Learn to play the part so that it becomes a part of you, then just sing over it. Its hard at first, but once you really get the hang of it, its a blast!

You might not get a lot of the bass from this recording, but here's an old original tune with a pretty fun bassline
                      Fender Acoustasonic Tele
                      Gretsch 9220 Bobtail resonator
                      Epi Les Paul Custom
                      Garrison G-50-E
                      1984 Martin Shenandoah
                      Stiletto Studio5
                      Upright bass w/pickup
                      Yamaha RBX 260F Fretless 4
                      Essex (SX) B-205
                      And a cool old Kingston Bass that looks good on my wall....
                      Aphex Punch Factor
                      Jekyll & Hyde dual distortion
                      Ibby Toneloc Digital Delay
                      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III *Red October limited run*

Comment

Sorry for the drive by posting and all (I haven't been here in years, I think )...

Anyhow, I play upright bass in a string band and an acoustic duo, and I sing both harmonies and lead parts.

Issac is spot on.

It is a time and facility issue. It took a long time to get to where I could sing and play bass (even when I could sing and play guitar or piano, or play guitar while kicking simple bass pedals and playing harmonica ). It is just a hard thing that takes a long time and a lot facility on the instrument to do at all (never mind well).

But it is do-able. People do it. You can do it. If you keep trying.

That is all. Carry on.
                        My Business: Media Production in the Texas Hill Country

Comment

I do. I'm great at either, especially at the same time, but I do my best. It has gotten a lot better with practice. I will third what Geddy said.

Comment

I think this little red head sings and plays bass at the same time...

The Smarm has left the building...

Comment

...and she is a bad ass!!!
                              Perry

Basses -
                              MTD KZ-5
                              MTD Artist 5
                              Ibanez SRT-800DX
                              Spector NS-2 (korean)
                              Peavey G bass

Rig -

Comment

Working...
                              X