Power/Pre amps advice/input

freedlebeatle

• Members

ok, so ive payed all $1500 off on my custom built Omega Enclosures bass cab (speaker layout info in sig for interested parties). The builder of the cab suggested since i will be bi-amping, selling my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and '93 (pre-fender) SWR SM-400 (currently taking cash or Power or pre amp trade offers) and getting a nice dual channel power amp and two pre amps. I am buying a behringer europower EP2000 off of my drummer in exchange for $200 worth of new cymbals, which helps the bands greater good, and gets me a cheap power amp to get started with, as a stepping stone if you will. The cab builder suggested i go with a carvin 2000 Watt class A/B power amp, which brand new goes for $600. I am looking for some input as to what i should go to after im done with the EP2000, since I WILL be upgrading from that once ive got the extra cash, or if i should consider going with a crown or qsc or comparable company. I am also looking for input on what kind of pre amps i should consider (price range of about $400 a piece). My uncle who passed away 2 years ago but was a 40+ year lifetime bass player swore by Pearce pre amps, but i think i want something a little more current. I am strongly considering Ampeg SVP's, just bc i love ampeg and the functions and capabilities and controls of these are very familiar for me.

Does anyone have any other/better suggestions input or advice in regards to either power or pre amps?

• Members

I used to bi-amp only.When I had my SWR 900 I experimented with bi-aming vs. straight stereo operation.I found that I liked full range stereo operation over bi-amping with that particular rig.For speakers I was running a Carvin 2-10,and a Carvin 1-18.If you are going DI into a sound system,your sound will automatically be bi-amped(or tri-amped depending on the P.A.) out front anyway.I've gone to a much smaller set-up most recently,and only use my amp as a stage monitor anymore,but it has enough balls to do a smaller room where P.A. is only used on vocals,and kick drum.Just my .02.

• Members

thanks for the reply. That very well may be the case for me as well, but i suppose ill know once i get there. I think i am going to try and acquire a single ISP Theta pre-amp as it is dual channel and looks like it will kick major ass! If I wind up not liking biamping i could bridge the signal into both inputs for the seperate chambers on the cab and run stereo... or i could still biamp but blend the signals so each chamber gets the same saturation of highs/mids/lows

• Members

The thing that I noticed when I went from bi-amping to stereo operation was how full,and what a great box that 2-10 was.And with an 18 underneath it,the cabinets really made for a great sounding rig.It seemed to be more of an automatically mid-scooped type sound bi-amped,and just fuller,and thicker in stereo.It really was a huge difference (I havn't worried about bi-amping a bass rig since).

Archived