X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing bass heads

Hey there,

I'm sure this has been asked and written up before - but perhaps someone could show me to a link

I'm interested in a comparison of the tone of all the different bass amp brands - Not the old "which is better" because that is personal opinion all the way, but a real description of how they differ? If someone says a GK tone, an ampeg tone, a markbass tone, an SWR tone... what does that mean? I've seen basstasters.com but it doesnt seem to cover amps.

I'm talking amps, not cabs.

The reason i ask for this is that i try out lots of different amps and with most of them, i find that in one setting i love them, and the next time i use the same amp, i don't.

My Eden amp had a clear tone and didn't last long enough. I've heard others complain their Eden went bust on them. My Marshall B450H amp head was a great amp head, but it was heavy and I didn't like the 15 knobs and 5 buttons....litterally! My Carvin head is a dream head and is light, puts out any tone with a minimum of fiddling and my basses never sounded better.

I've had more heads, but the old ones aren't made anymore anyway.
    Dennis Hopper's retirement plan, except Dennis is dead
    Retired and likin' it a lot!
    Regards. Rimmer

Comment

I like my Mesa Walkabout, but the M-Pulse 600 is smooth and buttery, even when the preamp is overdriven. I wish Mesa made a lightweight head with that same exact sound. The Walkabout is a bit brighter and more modern sounding, even though you can get good grit out of it, IMHO.

I can't find any bass amp comparison sites, but here's a good one with bass compressors.

http://www.ovnilab.com/
      HCBF Mesa Brigade Member #2

Comment

Honestly, you're asking someone to write up a description of the tonal qualities(sound) of a bunch of different amps - I don't see myself doing that... A more productive approach would be to describe what you're trying to accomplish, and maybe we can offer some recommendations...

On a personal note, I currently own a Mesa M-pulse 600, a G-K 700rb-II, and a Genz-Benz Streamliner 600 - the Streamliner does a nice job of sounding and acting like a tube amp, in a 6lb package - with a killer tube driven DI... The 700rb-II does the quick, clean, and clear sound with tons of power, low end, and can warm up nicely... Lastly, the M-pulse 600 can do either, but I tend to make it sound warm like a tube amp, but keep it pretty clean sounding...

I also tend to use cabs with 10s for metal, hard rock and modern rock, and 15s for classic rock, blues, and country/modern country - this keeps me from having to do any radical EQ'ing for the task at hand...

- georgestrings

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by heath_eld
          View Post

Hey there,

I'm sure this has been asked and written up before - but perhaps someone could show me to a link

I'm interested in a comparison of the tone of all the different bass amp brands - Not the old "which is better" because that is personal opinion all the way, but a real description of how they differ? If someone says a GK tone, an ampeg tone, a markbass tone, an SWR tone... what does that mean? I've seen basstasters.com but it doesnt seem to cover amps.

I'm talking amps, not cabs.

The reason i ask for this is that i try out lots of different amps and with most of them, i find that in one setting i love them, and the next time i use the same amp, i don't.

SWR =hyped hi-fi tone, ex. Marcus Miller

Markbass =warm yet clean tone

Ampeg =cookie cutter rock tone

GK =clean w/grit, clean tone

What else would you like to know?

Comment

SWR sounds like ****************e when I play though it

Markbass sounds like ****************e when I play though it

Ampeg sounds like ****************e when I play though it

GK sounds like ****************e when I play though it

Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
            Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
            You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
            You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull
            http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LUG

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by lug
              View Post

Have you tried using your left foot instead of your right one?
              Dennis Hopper's retirement plan, except Dennis is dead
              Retired and likin' it a lot!
              Regards. Rimmer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Perfessor
                View Post

Have you tried using your left foot instead of your right one?

Left-footed ain't natural, goes against gawd's plan!
                Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
                Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by lug
                  View Post

Hmmm... What does a Peavey sound like when you play through it? (he asked knowingly)
                  The Smarm has left the building...

Comment

I don't think I can be of any help. The heads I play through are probably older than heath_eld.
                    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                    -- Theodore White

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by chunky-b
                      View Post

Hmmm... What does a Peavey sound like when you play through it? (he asked knowingly)

The power amp sounds like ****************e. The cabs, on the other hand, sound like ****************e, and the T40, well, sounds like ****************e when I play it.

Comment

What about the preamp?

You know you're gonna need a preamp with that.
                        "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                        -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                        -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                        -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                        -- Theodore White

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by isaac42
                          View Post

What about the preamp?

You know you're gonna need a preamp with that.

You know damm well I only use ampeg preamps.....They sound like ****************e!

Comment

Working...
                          X