They (almost) got away with stealing my bass

Perfessor

• Members

I was at a jam last week in Athens, Ohio, where Ohio Univisity is. About 1 A.M. a guy walked out with my Jack Casady bass. His acoustic guitar case could in no way be mistaken for my bass. That guy's acoustic guitar case was beat up, wider and 5 inches shorter. By the time I ran out after him he had disappeared. Luckily, the people running the jam not only knew who he was, but one person had his number on his contact list. The guy showed up 10 minutes later and then went right for his own case. He knew exactly where he had placed his beat up guitar. I put some stickers on the case to make it easier to tell it's mine.

• Members

Was he intoxicated? I've never accidentally took something that wasn't mine,but back in the day(yes,I used to drink myself comatose),I did some pretty stupid,and embarrassing things while under the influence. Not saying that would make it OK or anything. In fact had it been mine,and had I been intoxicated,I would most likely have ended up in jail for beating (or at least trying to beat) the thieving {censored}'s ASS!!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gonzobassman

View Post

Was he intoxicated? I've never accidentally took something that wasn't mine,but back in the day(yes,I used to drink myself comatose),I did some pretty stupid,and embarrassing things while under the influence. Not saying that would make it OK or anything. In fact had it been mine,and had I been intoxicated,I would most likely have ended up in jail for beating (or at least trying to beat) the thieving {censored}'s ASS!!!

There's no way he could have mistaken my case for his. It had to be deliberate. When I so much as pick up another case, I can tell it's not mine. He was not drunk! He mumbled he took it by mistake.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Perfessor

View Post

There's no way he could have mistaken my case for his. It had to be deliberate. When I so much as pick up another case, I can tell it's not mine. He was not drunk! He mumbled he took it by mistake.

I can see both sides of it, being onewho would get seriously wasted at or after gigs (anyones gigs). But it's hard to believe someone would take more than a handful of steps and not realize the case they are holding isn't right. The guy was a jackass at best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One time I did go home from a jam with another persons guitar. The cases were almost identical. The next day I opened "my' guitar case and saw her guitar inside. I frantically started looking for her number and we left voice messages for each other at the same time. She had a gig that day and fortunately was able to borrow another 12 string. (mine was a 6) After that I painted our band logo on my case.

Archived