Can someone recommend an entry level bass?

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

A friend asked for his wife, and while I know a bit about guitars, I don't know much about basses.

I have a Mexican P-bass as does a buddy of mine. We both dig them. We've both had them for about 15 years. I remember paying 2-something or maybe as much as $350. I just looked them up...$570.

Times have changed!! If that's out of my friends budget, what are the cheaper alternatives that are still decent playing/sounding?

Thanks!!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike_E_McGee View Post
A friend asked for his wife, and while I know a bit about guitars, I don't know much about basses.

I have a Mexican P-bass as does a buddy of mine. We both dig them. We've both had them for about 15 years. I remember paying 2-something or maybe as much as $350. I just looked them up...$570.

Times have changed!! If that's out of my friends budget, what are the cheaper alternatives that are still decent playing/sounding?

Thanks!!!
Ibanez, Essex, Squier.....plenty of under $200 starter basses out there.
These (Essex, Ibanez, Stagg) are my short-scale basses.
bass3ss.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike_E_McGee View Post

Thanks!!!
Ibanez, Essex, Squier.....plenty of under $200 starter basses out there.
These (Essex, Ibanez, Stagg) are my short-scale basses.
bass3ss.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Spliff View Post
Does it need to be new ?

Go second hand. A bass usually loses around half of the price as soon as you walk out the door with it and there's a lot of good basses on the sh market.
+1 especially if it's a new player. Many don't stick and there is no reason to take the "new bass" price hit if they don't continue to play.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Spliff View Post
Does it need to be new ?

Go second hand. A bass usually loses around half of the price as soon as you walk out the door with it and there's a lot of good basses on the sh market.
+1 especially if it's a new player. Many don't stick and there is no reason to take the "new bass" price hit if they don't continue to play.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Perfessor View Post
Whew......I'm glad your response didn't come with a link to your "bass playing".

biggrin.gif

Be nice.
It's X-mas and what about goodwill to all mankind ?
It ought to have been something like "your alternative approach to bass playing".

wink.gif

Merry Christmas, everybody.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Perfessor View Post
Whew......I'm glad your response didn't come with a link to your "bass playing".

biggrin.gif

Be nice.
It's X-mas and what about goodwill to all mankind ?
It ought to have been something like "your alternative approach to bass playing".

wink.gif

Merry Christmas, everybody.

Archived