Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Can someone recommend an entry level bass?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone recommend an entry level bass?

A friend asked for his wife, and while I know a bit about guitars, I don't know much about basses.

I have a Mexican P-bass as does a buddy of mine. We both dig them. We've both had them for about 15 years. I remember paying 2-something or maybe as much as $350. I just looked them up...$570.

Times have changed!! If that's out of my friends budget, what are the cheaper alternatives that are still decent playing/sounding?

Thanks!!!
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/thezombiemikeemcgee/videos" target="_blank">This here is my music what I make with my mouth and instruments and such</a></div>

Times haven't changed all that much. It's just that money is worth less than it used to be.

As for cheaper alternatives, I'd say that, if you like P style basses, take a look at the Squiers.
    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
    -- Theodore White

Comment

Times haven't changed all that much. It's just that money is worth less than it used to be.

As for cheaper alternatives, I'd say that, if you like P style basses, take a look at the Squiers.
      "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
      -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
      -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
      -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
      -- Theodore White

Comment

You might look at the lower end soundgears as well. Between Squire and Ibanez, there is plenty of bang for your buck in the sub 400 dollar range.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Perry<br />
        <a href="http://www.myspace.com/badhabit00" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/badhabit00</a><br />
        <br />
        Basses - <br />
        MTD KZ-5 <br />
        MTD Artist 5 <br />
        Ibanez SRT-800DX<br />
        Spector NS-2 (korean)<br />
        Peavey G bass<br />
        <br />
        Rig - <br />
        Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 atop two Phil Jones Bass 4b 4X5 cabs</div>

Comment

You might look at the lower end soundgears as well. Between Squire and Ibanez, there is plenty of bang for your buck in the sub 400 dollar range.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Perry<br />
          <a href="http://www.myspace.com/badhabit00" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/badhabit00</a><br />
          <br />
          Basses - <br />
          MTD KZ-5 <br />
          MTD Artist 5 <br />
          Ibanez SRT-800DX<br />
          Spector NS-2 (korean)<br />
          Peavey G bass<br />
          <br />
          Rig - <br />
          Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 atop two Phil Jones Bass 4b 4X5 cabs</div>

Comment

Ibanez, they play great! If you buy one with Bartolini Pickups, it'll sound great, too.

Comment

Ibanez, they play great! If you buy one with Bartolini Pickups, it'll sound great, too.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_E_McGee
                View Post

A friend asked for his wife, and while I know a bit about guitars, I don't know much about basses.

I have a Mexican P-bass as does a buddy of mine. We both dig them. We've both had them for about 15 years. I remember paying 2-something or maybe as much as $350. I just looked them up...$570.

Times have changed!! If that's out of my friends budget, what are the cheaper alternatives that are still decent playing/sounding?

Thanks!!!

Ibanez, Essex, Squier.....plenty of under $200 starter basses out there.

These (Essex, Ibanez, Stagg) are my short-scale basses.

<div class="signaturecontainer">2008 SX Jass SS * 2011 Ibanez Mikro<br><br>Carvin BX500 * BagEnd SD-15 (2)<br><br>TD-20exp module * 9 Acoustic diy drums * 7 Yamaha PCY-150 cymbals</div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_E_McGee
                  View Post

Thanks!!!

Ibanez, Essex, Squier.....plenty of under $200 starter basses out there.

These (Essex, Ibanez, Stagg) are my short-scale basses.

<div class="signaturecontainer">2008 SX Jass SS * 2011 Ibanez Mikro<br><br>Carvin BX500 * BagEnd SD-15 (2)<br><br>TD-20exp module * 9 Acoustic diy drums * 7 Yamaha PCY-150 cymbals</div>

Comment

Does it need to be new ?

Go second hand. A bass usually loses around half of the price as soon as you walk out the door with it and there's a lot of good basses on the sh market.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">&quot;Too many basses is not enough.&quot; /ferm</font><br />
                    <font size="1">&quot;I neither slap my women nor my basses.&quot; /Cpt. Spliff</font><br />
                    <font size="1">&quot;What were once vices are now old habits.&quot; /Doobie Brothers</font></div>

Comment

Does it need to be new ?

Go second hand. A bass usually loses around half of the price as soon as you walk out the door with it and there's a lot of good basses on the sh market.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">&quot;Too many basses is not enough.&quot; /ferm</font><br />
                      <font size="1">&quot;I neither slap my women nor my basses.&quot; /Cpt. Spliff</font><br />
                      <font size="1">&quot;What were once vices are now old habits.&quot; /Doobie Brothers</font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Spliff
                        View Post

Does it need to be new ?

+1 especially if it's a new player. Many don't stick and there is no reason to take the "new bass" price hit if they don't continue to play.
                        Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
                        Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
                        You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
                        You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull
                        http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LUG

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Spliff
                          View Post

Does it need to be new ?

+1 especially if it's a new player. Many don't stick and there is no reason to take the "new bass" price hit if they don't continue to play.
                          Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
                          Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
                          You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
                          You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull
                          http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LUG

Comment

All of lug's basses sound like cheap crap, no matter how much he spends.
                            Dennis Hopper's retirement plan, except Dennis is dead
                            Retired and likin' it a lot!
                            Regards. Rimmer

Comment

All of lug's basses sound like cheap crap, no matter how much he spends.
                              Dennis Hopper's retirement plan, except Dennis is dead
                              Retired and likin' it a lot!
                              Regards. Rimmer

Comment

Working...
                              X