Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of picking up a Peavey T-40 Bass.. Thoughts, Reviews, Experiences??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of picking up a Peavey T-40 Bass.. Thoughts, Reviews, Experiences??

Hello.

I have recently switched over from playing Rhythm Guitar to Bass.

I have been a metalhead for many, many years-- I recently have been working with a Classic Rock/High-Energy Modern Blues/Rock band.

Originally, I planned to only be with them for a short time since they had a regular and busy gig schedule.

Well-- 2 years later, and here I am.........  Long story short, We all leave our gig equipment at the rehersal space. The bass player didn't show up for 3 straight practices-- and his bass gear was there.

I had never played Bass Before-- and honestly I just strapped it on as a goof.-- It wasnt half bad!

I played with a pick, since guitar was what I was used to, but it felt right.

Since then, we lost the Bass Player-- and now i have been voted up to take over.

The new rhythm guitarist/vocalist is working out great, and it looks like ill be on Bass duties..

I have a cheap Washburn Bass from the mid- 80s. And I am "SansAmping" DI to the PA mixer.

I have a small Wedge monitor, but its full band-- and it is difficult to hear myself sometimes.

MY QUESTION IS-- I found a Peavey T40 in a local music store for $350. Natural Finish.

The guy says its from 1980. Hes asking $500-- and it is in PRISTINE MINT contition..

Its a little heavey, but really well balanced... Sounds excellent, and feels great in my hand.

Whats your thoughts on the Peavey T40?

You have a bass, no amp and are having problems hearing yourself.

Maybe buy an amp before you buy a second bass.

Comment

T40 is one of my favorite basses, I own 2 of them.  $500 is too high, $350 is fine.  I agree that you may want to get an amp first, though.

Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
      Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
      You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
      You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull
      http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LUG

Comment

• isaac42
        isaac42 commented
        Editing a comment

I'm a little confused. You found it in a store for $350, but he's asking $500?

• Maniac-3733
        Maniac-3733 commented
        Editing a comment

whats a good Bass Guitar amp to keep up with a PV1500 power amp for PA mixer (not cranked, btw)

Guitar players with tube amps (50w Fender blues deluxe, i think-- not sure about the other one)

I have been shopping around, and I am taking a liking to the Orange Terror Bass head.

I thik its 500 watts, and you can get a small cabinet with a weird isobaric 2x12 setup, with a 1x12 footprint.

Are Orange Amps as good as they used to be, back iin the 70s?

Wear it for a while and form your own opinion.  Every one I have ever picked up was made of some kind of lead/wood compound that had the aesthetics of wood, but the weight of lead.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Perry<br />
      <a href="http://www.myspace.com/badhabit00" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/badhabit00</a><br />
      <br />
      Basses - <br />
      MTD KZ-5 <br />
      MTD Artist 5 <br />
      Ibanez SRT-800DX<br />
      Spector NS-2 (korean)<br />
      Peavey G bass<br />
      <br />
      Rig - <br />
      Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 atop two Phil Jones Bass 4b 4X5 cabs</div>

Comment

Peavey T-40s are great basses. So are Matsumoku rea Washburns, which you probably have.

I am another vote for an amp.

Comment

Working...
        X