Sheet music conversion software?

bholder

• Members

Anyone know of any "character recognition" software for converting sheet music to something computer friendly, like maybe MIDI, or better yet, tab? Second question, anything for converting MIDI to tab or vice versa?

I have some classical music scores that I'd love to transcribe / arrange / learn for guitar and bass. I should learn to read standard notation directly, but have been more than a bit lazy, looking for a cheater's way. Another option I'm considering is getting some good recordings and playing along while reading the notation. I used to sightread pretty well on clarinet (and bass and contrabass) , but it's been a few decades...

• Members

Sibelius is an awesome program for composing/arranging/printing. I believe it comes with scanning software that will import sheet music. It can convert to tab, but you can guess how well that probably works. There are many different places to play each note on fretted instruments.

Just learn how to read music. It may seem daunting, but it becomes second nature very quickly.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

bholder wrote:

Anyone know of any "character recognition" software for converting sheet music to something computer friendly, like maybe MIDI, or better yet, tab? Second question, anything for converting MIDI to tab or vice versa?

I have some classical music scores that I'd love to transcribe / arrange / learn for guitar and bass. I should learn to read standard notation directly, but have been more than a bit lazy, looking for a cheater's way. Another option I'm considering is getting some good recordings and playing along while reading the notation. I used to sightread pretty well on clarinet (and bass and contrabass) , but it's been a few decades...

To Scan sheet music and to convert it into MIDI and MusicXML files I recommend SharpEye. Optimal price functionality for most musicians.  If you need software for MAc on the same site you can find suc programs also.

To edit/arrange music you can use Maestro Composer

Archived