WAL

thom

• Members

My obsession with Alembic basses has moved to wal basses...I know, I don't have cheap taste in instruments:s

Anyway, What's my best bet for a super cheapish wal-like tone? I know, that sounds like the biggest nopob question, but ofcourse I'm not expecting to come close the the tone of a $3000 wal bass for $400. That's just the type of tone I'm aiming for, to give you guys an idea. Describing a tone (gnarly, bite, middsy, deep, etc) is an even worse way of trying to make clear what I'm after imo.

Anyway, I was thinking something along the lines of these options:

SBMM Ray4. Gets decent reviews, But I haven't tried one myself yet. Maybe with a new pu/preamp if at all needed. Though I guess any upgrade worth while might jack up the total price to where I'm better off getting a used MM Stingray...Right? 

G&L L series. the L-1500 caught my eye, though I guess it'd make sense to spend the little extra for the hb/hb model if I wanna come a little closer to something remotely wal-ish sounding:)

Whadda you guys think? Cheers.

• Members

thom wrote:

My obsession with Alembic basses has moved to wal basses...I know, I don't have cheap taste in instruments:s

Anyway, What's my best bet for a super cheapish wal-like tone?

i'm not sure off board electronics can replicate the sound of the gods.

nothing sounds like a Wal. 

Archived