Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Recommend Me A Bass

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Me A Bass

Guitar player here.

Need a bass for my project studio in the (~$250) range. I'm leaning towards a 4 string since that's more familiar to me.

Some basses I've looked into include the Sterling S.U.B bass, Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar, AXL Badwater APJ-820, and the Tobias Toby Deluxe IV.

Opinions? Other suggestions? This guitar will be used for recording exclusively.

Thanks in advance.

You want something that isn't junk and will blend in to most genres. Think Used Fender P-Bass.

HCBF Mesa Brigade Member #2

Comment

• lz4005
      lz4005 commented
      Editing a comment

Passive P bass is the way to go. It will work in every genre and record with less noise than most inexpensive active basses.

In a recent thread someone suggested an Epiphone Tobias Deluxe IV. It looks pretty solid.

I really liked that Squire Jag bass you mentioned - and I admit I've been prejudiced against the Squire line. But I really liked that Jag bass a lot. Light and a skinny neck. Don't know how I feel about the pickups, but those are easy to upgrade.

I've played some inexpensive Spectors that were really nice. Don't know their models, I was just impressed with the feel and surprised by the low price.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><i>Ita Erat Quando Hic Adveni</i></b></font></font> <br />
    <font size="2">I play guitar, bass and drums with equal enthusiasm and lack of skill.</font><br />
    <br />
    <font size="2">&quot;Never attribute to malice, those things which are adequately explained by stupidity.&quot; - Hanlon's Razor</font></div>

Comment

• jcpatte2
      jcpatte2 commented
      Editing a comment

Yeah, I wish Guitar Center carried that Toby so I could try it out firsthand. The Squire feels more guitar-like than most basses which is a plus for me. I'll have to check into the Spector line.

I think I'm leaning towards trying an SX out based on a few recommendations.

Comment

• perrydabassman
      perrydabassman commented
      Editing a comment
      Most of the forumites that used to hang here said they played nice, but had trashy electronics.

Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. Ray4

Comment

I just stumbled on a Peavey Grind. Used and in great shape for less than $200.

I'm surprised by how good it is.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

Seriously. I have five basses I purchased from there. Only one was a dog, but I got it from a scratch and dent sale dirt cheap.

"If there is anything that links the human to the divine, it is the courage to stand by a principle when everybody else rejects it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

http://www.abasses.com/

Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
          Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
          You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
          You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull
          http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LUG

Comment

So far my fav is the Shecter Diamond C4

but you'd have to find a used one in that price

Comment

Working...
            X