X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Me A Bass

Guitar player here.

Need a bass for my project studio in the (~$250) range. I'm leaning towards a 4 string since that's more familiar to me.

Some basses I've looked into include the Sterling S.U.B bass, Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar, AXL Badwater APJ-820, and the Tobias Toby Deluxe IV.

Opinions? Other suggestions? This guitar will be used for recording exclusively.

Thanks in advance.

You want something that isn't junk and will blend in to most genres. Think Used Fender P-Bass.

HCBF Mesa Brigade Member #2

Comment

• lz4005
      lz4005 commented
      Editing a comment

Passive P bass is the way to go. It will work in every genre and record with less noise than most inexpensive active basses.

In a recent thread someone suggested an Epiphone Tobias Deluxe IV. It looks pretty solid.

I really liked that Squire Jag bass you mentioned - and I admit I've been prejudiced against the Squire line. But I really liked that Jag bass a lot. Light and a skinny neck. Don't know how I feel about the pickups, but those are easy to upgrade.

I've played some inexpensive Spectors that were really nice. Don't know their models, I was just impressed with the feel and surprised by the low price.

Ita Erat Quando Hic Adveni
    I play guitar, bass and drums with equal enthusiasm and lack of skill.

"Never attribute to malice, those things which are adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Comment

• jcpatte2
      jcpatte2 commented
      Editing a comment

Yeah, I wish Guitar Center carried that Toby so I could try it out firsthand. The Squire feels more guitar-like than most basses which is a plus for me. I'll have to check into the Spector line.

I think I'm leaning towards trying an SX out based on a few recommendations.

Comment

• perrydabassman
      perrydabassman commented
      Editing a comment
      Most of the forumites that used to hang here said they played nice, but had trashy electronics.

Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. Ray4

Comment

I just stumbled on a Peavey Grind. Used and in great shape for less than $200.

I'm surprised by how good it is.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

Seriously. I have five basses I purchased from there. Only one was a dog, but I got it from a scratch and dent sale dirt cheap.

"If there is anything that links the human to the divine, it is the courage to stand by a principle when everybody else rejects it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

http://www.abasses.com/

Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
          Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
          You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
          You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull
          http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LUG

Comment

So far my fav is the Shecter Diamond C4

but you'd have to find a used one in that price

Comment

Working...
            X