G&L SB-2 Electronics Issues

patrickgibson

• Members

I was wondering if this is an electronic problem I may have to take for repair. When I have high gain or distortion applied to my G&L SB-2 bass there is a hissing or fizzing sound when not playing or playing. I noticed when I place my hand around either of the volume knobs it is quiet or pull the cord on the input jack in a slanted direction it is quiet. I tried my ESP LTD TA-600 bass and do not have these issues of a hiss.

Also I do not know if this caused by  G&L Magnetic Field split coil and G&L Magnetic Field single coil pickups, since my other bass with the EMG pickups is quiet.

I do not want to be a fool and take my bass for an electronic repair if this is how it is supposed to sound.

• Members

The split coil pick up on an SB2 is VERY hot. As a passive bass, the SB2 is hotter than a lot of active basses, so I would imagine that the gain knob should be used sparingly.

Just my 2c.

For a more authoritative answer, you could ask on the G&L forum. They are very helpful over there.

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=f1edd4f868fbbd49fb6ca323d570214e

Archived