Rockabilly pickups for URB.

slapthefunkyfour

• Members

Anyone ever tried this?

KRIVO Magnetic Pickup for Upright Bass EBONY color

7fde_1.JPG

I was planning on building something like that myself. I have an old P pickup that I was gonna mount onto the end of the fingerboard. I don't know how it would sound, but I already have the pup, so why not give it a try? Maybe this long weekend I'll get around to it.

• Members

I was planning on building something like that myself. I have an old P pickup that I was gonna mount onto the end of the fingerboard. I don't know how it would sound, but I already have the pup, so why not give it a try? Maybe this long weekend I'll get around to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you have to stay with steel strings with a mag pickup? Seems like playing slap would tear your hands up quicker.

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you have to stay with steel strings with a mag pickup? Seems like playing slap would tear your hands up quicker.

Yes you would need steel strings. Luckily, I use steel strings and I've built up monster callouses. I ordered some of those weedwacker things, but they have been sitting in the bag for 2 months. I have yet to try them out. But, I've got 2 URBs, so one of them will get the weedwackers, the other will get the mag pup.

Experiments are fun.

Someday I'll be able to afford a real pup system for my URB. Until then, I'm gonna stick with the Violin pickup and preamp that I've been using for years.

• Members

Been thinking the same thing. Have a DiMarzio Split-P sitting around. It's a rail-type winding, so pole spacing won't be an issue.

Pics and review when you're done, mmm-kay?

• Members

Been thinking the same thing. Have a DiMarzio Split-P sitting around. It's a rail-type winding, so pole spacing won't be an issue.

Pics and review when you're done, mmm-kay?

Of course.

I always take pics of all my projects step by step all the way through.

My mother always told me to keep a journal. I'm too lazy to write, but my grandkids are gonna have thousands and thousands of pictures to sort through that tell my life story.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hi there,

you don't necessarily have to use steel strings - they may be plastic core but metal wound with magnetic properties. I'm violinist & viola player and I'm using a REBO magnetic pickup (also available for doublebass), playing C & G Thomastik Dominant strings (plastic core) These strings have an even stronger output than steel ropecore strings, because of the bigger diameter of the metal "tube" the windings form on the plastic core.

Cheers

Uli

Archived