Kramer and Charvel Basses

Ballfuzz

• Members

I've been looking at theses for awhile now and just lost an auction on ebay for a Kramer 7000.

Were the 80's Kramer and Charvel basses any good? Are there any other basses under the 400$ price range from the 80's worth looking at?

Thanks!

• Members

I've been looking at theses for awhile now and just lost an auction on ebay for a Kramer 7000.

Were the 80's Kramer and Charvel basses any good? Are there any other basses under the 400$ price range from the 80's worth looking at?

Thanks!

Peavey T-40's are very highly regarded around here, and they can regularly be found in various conditions on eBay for less than $300.

As far as Kramers and Charvels go, I have yet to see one that has held up well over the years, where as I have played a handful of very nice T-40's.

You might also look into Japanese Fenders, as those will float around the $400 price range, depending on condition and setup.

Why the affinity for 80's basses? Starting a cover/tribute band?

• Members

Kramer Pioneer basses are very sweet. Very nice necks -- their best feature! They still bring a good price $300+ from what I've seen. (I watch for them). kra83pioneer-red.jpg

:cool:

I have seen Kramer Berettas on eBay; I understand they're not as nice but have never touched one.

• Members

Peavey T-40's are very highly regarded around here, and they can regularly be found in various conditions on eBay for less than $300.

As far as Kramers and Charvels go, I have yet to see one that has held up well over the years, where as I have played a handful of very nice T-40's.

You might also look into Japanese Fenders, as those will float around the $400 price range, depending on condition and setup.

Why the affinity for 80's basses? Starting a cover/tribute band?

Cool! Thanks

The reason for the 80's is because I believe that the new Kramer's and Charvel's are very cheap. From what I had heard, the ones to find were the made in Japan versions from the 80's.

I'll check out those peavey's!

• Members

Kramer Pioneer basses are very sweet. Very nice necks -- their best feature! They still bring a good price $300+ from what I've seen. (I watch for them).
kra83pioneer-red.jpg
:cool:

I have seen Kramer Berettas on eBay; I understand they're not as nice but have never touched one.

I was thinking about buying this one from Chris' Guitars but I don't like that horrible stain/colouration in the wood around the control cavity. Its the only thing that put me off.

• Members

I was thinking about buying this one from Chris' Guitars but I don't like that horrible stain/colouration in the wood around the control cavity. Its the only thing that put me off.

Agreed. What the heck is that black swirl {censored}?

• Members

I have always wanted a 1980's Kramer w/aluminum neck, "V" headstock. I have never been interested in any of their other basses. Weird, I know.

I have one of these X-Ray basses (in sky blue color; a.k.a. Carolina blue):

instElectric_BassesXRay_Bass-resized200.

Made by Vaccaro based on the old Kramer neck/headstock design; neck has been improved, though.

• Members

yeah the surfcaster is killer , I like the MIJ Kramer Focus series , really fine instruments made by ESP , I have a geetar and it is really sweet .

colors.jpg

focusbody.jpg

focus1.jpg

I'm receiving a Kramer Focus 6000 this week. Can't wait.

I lost the auction for a baby blue Kramer Focus 7000 bass :(

• Members

I have owned 2 80's model Charvels. I like them both, they played great. As a matter of fact, I just sold one, wish I would have seen your add. I sold fairly cheap.

Chris

Stingray

GK Backline 600

Hartke 410 and 115

That's a kick to the face :p heheh

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The charvels where nice. The kramers of the 80's had a habbit for ahwile of the nuts breaking very easy. The ealrier aluminum neck versions where very uncomfortable playing in hot or cold weather since the metal absorbed the heat and cold quite easy.

Archived