I need an effects processor for practicing (ALSO, I'm back, Bass forum!)

arock0627

• Members

Hey all,

I don't remember my old name here (may have been JRX or JungleroomX or somesuch thing) but I used to frequent the halls of this gilded forum way back.  I doubt if anyone from that time period remembers my old ass but I'm back and for good reason:

After a 6 year stint in the Army I'm getting the medical boot due to my back and shoulder... so I've taken it upon myself to get myself back in the bass world.  I have absolutely zero interest in being in a band or playing live music, what with three kids and a wife and I'm about to enter college to finish my degree, but the bass itself is a part of me down to my deepest roots.  I've given up the stupid rockstar dreams but I will never ever give up my rumble box again.

I went 8 years without a bass.  Never again.

So I got myself a mid-ranged Ovation acoustic bass just recently.  It's decent, it's something I jam along with my CD player or laptop as I put my toes back in the water, but I'm eyeballing something else right now.  I used to have an Ibanez 6 stringer and a Spector 5 stringer Legendary series (korean), and while I'll probably never use a 6 I've been seriously considering getting another Spector 5.  It's not its American built cousins, for sure, but damn it was a hell of a bass for the money.

So I'm good on basses, but I am completely lost on an amp.  Or, more specificially, something like a Line 6 POD where I can plug in a CD player or MP3 player, a set of headphones, and just jam without worrying about noise... but I've been out of the game so long that not only do I not know what does it, I'm not even sure WHERE to start looking TBH.

Any help for this old fogie would be appreciated!

Do NOT use swear words in thread titles. Thanks. --Moderator

• Members

How much are you looking to spend, and what exactly are you looking for?  Are you wanting a floor unit with footswitches and an expression pedal, or you a desktop unit like a POD, something more portable?  Also, are you looking for something bass-specific?  Scroll through this stuff and see if you find anything that catches your fancy.  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/multi-effects-pedals

Let me know where and when you plan to use it, what you want to spend, and what you want to get out of it.  That should help narrow it down.

Cheers,

ogznog

• Members

Pleasepleaseplease don't buy that Digitech.  You'll want to get rid of it eventually. For that price, get the Zoom B3.  It has better effects, more effects, better features (you'll come to love having a looper), and the interface is so much friendlier.  If you're really hell-bent on having that expression pedal, you can buy a much nicer one and hook it up to the B3.

I'd really avoid the Digitech if I were you.  B3 does more and does it better, and I think it's much better suited for what you want to do.

• Members

No audio in, no dice. I love Vic, but I'm hardly using this thing for professional reasons, just home jamming with little external volume, just whatever runs through my headphones.

Could not possibly care any less about an expression pedal.

• Members

arock0627 wrote:

That's about all I need it for. I may end up getting some kind of overdrive and compressor eventually, but most of my tone comes from the fingers.

So I don't need to spend $1000's on amps, basses, gear, effects, etc, I just need fingers like yours? ?   :cathappy:

• Members

Pretty much. I got big fat cable pluckers with callouses to the bone. Its like playing bass with chew toys, son.

In all seriousness I have found over the last 25 years that I sound practically identical on any setup I try, and I enjoy the growly sound I produce, so my bass choice is 90% aesthetics and comfort.

• Members

You're welcome perfessor, but I came out with no deployments (and not from a lack of trying) and with a bad back, but I don't feel like I did anything. Aside from the bad back I came out of this aces so if there's anyone who should be thanking anyone it should be me thanking you guys for the tax dollars that let me do my thing for 5+ years.

Seriously, when I look at some of my friends who died or were truly injured I feel like a charlatan everytime someone thanks me for serving. Maybe survivors guilt, I don't know.

• Moderators

arock0627 wrote:

You're welcome perfessor, but I came out with no deployments (and not from a lack of trying) and with a bad back, but I don't feel like I did anything. Aside from the bad back I came out of this aces so if there's anyone who should be thanking anyone it should be me thanking you guys for the tax dollars that let me do my thing for 5+ years.

Seriously, when I look at some of my friends who died or were truly injured I feel like a charlatan everytime someone thanks me for serving. Maybe survivors guilt, I don't know.

I know the feeling. I often don't know what to say, so I just say, "You're welcome."

Archived