Which is the best class D head?

ItchyFingers

• Members

Hey guys,

I have been jamming with a couple guys in a jazz trio. We now have a sizable set together and are about to start gigging - just small venues mainly. I've got my instrument, a couple pedals (nothing too crazy, just tuner, compressor, and fuzz), and a 4x10 cabinet. My 100W Sunn Beta Bass head from the late 70s probably isn't going to cut it though. Its not super loud, has no DI out, its also sorta scratchy and temperamental. So I've been doing a bit of research on the class D amps that are popping up. I like the idea of having a small and easy to transport head, but I want to be able to sit in the mix nicely and keep up volume-wise with my drummer. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on the following amps, which you like best, horror stories or stuff to avoid, etc.

I've been looking at:
TC Electronic GH250 - the toneprint thing is cool but not sure how much I'd use it
Ampeg Micro VR - seems simple and straightforward
Ampeg Portaflex 350 - a few more options than the MVR, but not as many as the 500
Eden E300 - not alot of info available on this one, but it looks nice

Let me know what you think!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by perrydabassman View Post
Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
Yeah, for my money Genz-Benz is creme of the crop when it comes to smaller sized amps... A NeoPak 3.5 recently sold on TB's classifieds for under $250 - that's ALOT of amp for that kinda dough... I have a Streamliner 900 I really like, but think one of the Shuttles would be a better fit, given the OP's described purposes...

- georgestrings

• Members

I have a Micro-VR, a GK MB200, and a GB Shuttle 3.0 . I paid about $250 each (the Shuttle was slightly used). All sound great. The Micro-VR wins on "vintage looks", the MB200 on size, and the Shuttle is the most "HiFi" of the bunch (it's my home practice amp at the moment). The Shuttle is a bit "project boxy" looking IMO as are many other microheads. I do like the looks and "GK sound" of the MB200.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by melancholy mechanic View Post
Yeah, I don't think he's talking about volume.
Yeah, it sounds like he wants reliability and options.

It's not on your list, but I'd recommend the iAmp Micro from Euphonic Audio. I gigged that sucker heavily for two years, and it was a very nice amp. Super clean, nice headroom and the line out wasn't bad. It's worth a look.

Otherwise, the GK stuff I've played in stores has been solid. If you even wanted to, you could splurge for an MB-150 GK amp and have a sick little combo that has been THE jazz combo for decades. I've had one of those that worked extremely well for years.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Look at acoustic image amplifiers, little company, cool amps, big sound and power for their size.

I have a "New Yorker" model, been bulletproof for 8 years.

Adjustable Xlr light weight and I don't need to carry a cabinet.

Not much larger than a milk crate and weighing just 23 pounds, this single-channel, 250-watt guitar/bass amp meets the demands of car-less musicians in cities who travel on foot and in cabs and subways. In addition to being plenty loud for jazz gigs, the New Yorker sports a four-band EQ, an effects loop and a direct output. And Acoustic Image's reputation for superb sonic clarity will remain intact as this one carries the same speakers used in the company's other combo amps. acousticimg.com

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I play bass in a blues band. We do a matinee every week. I tried a few combo amps like a roland cube 100 and a polytone minibrute iv but they just didn't have enough bottom. So I decided that yes, I would have to carry my "big rig" after all. So I dusted off my AMP BH-420 and Harke 15" cab with celestian loaded and added a little more punch with a Fender Rumble 2 X 8" cab. And I have to say this combo rocks. It has everything I need for any gig. However, the BH-420 is at least 25 pounds, so I decided to look at D class amps to lighten the load a little.

The first one I tried was an Eden WTX-260. The tone was incredible, but it wasn't powerful enough. Don't get me wrong. I am not talking loud. I am talking full. So the next one I tried and still use is a Fender Rumble 350 head. Except for the distortion part of the amp, which I never use cuz it sucks, the amp is great. I never have it turned up past 10 o'clock and it sounds great. It sounds okay with an 8 ohm load, but with a 4 ohm it is awesome. There is a rumour out there that because Fender now owns Genx Benz, that the power amp section of the Rumble 350 is identical to the GB Shuttle.....I am very happy with the rumble and they are only $399 retail

• Members

Genz benz Shuttle Series all the way! I have been using Genz Benz for 13 years now. While i have tried MANY different amps over the years, NONE of them have ever stood up against the Genz benz amps. My gig rig is Shuttle max 12.0 through two Neox-212 cabs, and my band practice rig is a Shuttle 6.0 through a Uber 410. And I just recently purchased the New Contour 500/210, which will be my home practice amp. They all kick butt!!!

• Members

I use an Orange Terror Bass 500w with a range of cabs, depending on the gig and find it to be excellent for all kinds of music. I DI from a Aphex Punch Factory compressor pedal in front of the amp.

Archived