Anybody ever own a Fender Prophecy III?

perrydabassman

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I have a natural finish Prophecy III. They do come up for sale in between $300 and $700 on ebay. Which is weird since the RRP on a Prophecy III in 1992 was $1149. That's what I paid for mine at the shop in 1993. Frankly I wouldn't sell mine for any less than that now. Prophecy II went for about $750 brand new, so maybe people are lumping them all in together these days *shrug*

It's an amazing bass though, the best feeling, easiest to play, glassiest sounding thing I've ever had the hands on. At the time (since it was the 90's) I was getting into some pretty silly music and I wanted more of a wooteny fusiony clear toned sound and that's the sort of sounds it makes. These days I am more into a clunky thunky bass sound so I mainly play an old Rickenbacker with flats. But occasionally something more modern is called for and I've always had the Prophecy III around to brighten things up a bit. Lovely slapper too if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm calling the going rate on a Prophecy III "misguided". So keep them peeled! You will find them down around the $500 mark and if it's a "III" grab it cause that's a bass you want at half price!

Anyone have any information on how many were made? I don't see that sort of data on the Prophecy series anywhere.

Poly

us4-1.jpg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/polyrythmmm/Me%20Playing/us4-1.jpg[/img]

Archived