Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Anyone use a Tech-21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a Tech-21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI?

My buddy has one and it is a really awesome little deal for using as a DI box and adjusting your sound as well. He doesn't even use an amp any more, even though he has an old Ampeg and British made Trace Elliot and a Carvin stack. He has a killer PA and said he would rather go DI. I often use a DI box after my amp and go into the PA as well and use a small amp for just a monitor or will just go from my effects pedal into the board too.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.bartketner.com" target="_blank">www.bartketner.com</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.rissonamplifiers.com" target="_blank">www.rissonamplifiers.com</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.rosepickups.com" target="_blank">www.rosepickups.com</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.claytoncustom.com" target="_blank">www.claytoncustom.com</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.drstrings.com" target="_blank">www.drstrings.com</a></div>

I've heard it used. It can get that 'just right' grind at any volume. Pretty cool that way.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
    <div class="signaturecontainer">
    <div class="bbcode_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote">
    <div class="quote_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

I use a cheaper DI from behringer (BDI-21) . Works well. I'm hoping to get the Hartke unit of the same functionality soon. I play through a house system, or keyboard amps...work fantastic !
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.tunecore.com/music/frankkitts" target="_blank">http://www.tunecore.com/music/frankkitts</a></div>

Comment

I use mine pretty much any time I'm playing a passive fretted bass. At gigs, rehearsal or recording. Don't really like how it sounds for fretless or with actives, but that's just me.

Comment

I tried to get used to both the original SansAmp bass driver, and the three-channel SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver. I spent 1-1/2 hours noodling with both, trying to convince myself to grab one as a backup in case my rig breaks down, or for spontaneous gigs and need a rig in my car at all times.

But I mentioned to the sales guy I wish I could compare these with another bass preamp. He pulled out the Eden WTDI. Took me 30 seconds, to get a tone that made me far happier than an hour and a half of tweaking and noodling. Bought it instead of the SansAmp. Used it for a gig in a Gallien Kruger backline, going into the Power Amp In of that amp. Sounded completely different than any other bassist's performances that night. Nobody had any idea how I got that rig to sound good. Pretty good secret to keep.

Go find the WTDI and give it a test drive. You won't be sorry.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><b>&quot;Understanding that sentence meant he wasn't much of a chess player.&quot;</b></font><b> - <i>Abzurd</i><br />
          <br />
          <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2377395" target="_blank"> Winner of MYSTIC FX'S Most Metal Face, Early '09 Award</a></b><br />
          <br />
          <font size="1">Eden WT550B, D212XLT-4 times two, D210XLT, SKB US Roto Rack 4U, USA-made X2 XDS-Plus, Korg DT-7 tuner, Tobias Killer B5, Ibanez Prestige SR1005EFM, world-famous custom rack mounted CUP HOLDER! For my <b>BEER!</b></font></div>

Comment

SABDDI was a big flavor of the month 'round these parts a bunch of years ago. but people either loved it or hated it. too noisy was a common complaint.

i have one. i used to use it with a Yorkville BH400 SS head. did a real nice job of rounding off that SS sheen. and i still use it as a DI for recording. i've got no complaints.

i now use either a GenzBenz head or an iAmp head and the SAnsamp is no longer required for live sound.
            You added another useless post...who could ask for more? - BMAL
            I actually just realised what a dumb thread this is - bassaussie
            What a stupid thread. - bassaussie
            Tall Girl was everything a HCBF thread should be. - ivanthetrble
            Take care of yourself...and each other. - jerry springer

you have brave ballz of cast iron to fight the trog forces of haTE. - boy#152

and after you're finished, you say-
            Ooh, what a lovely teaparty

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by frunobulax
              View Post

SABDDI was a big flavor of the month 'round these parts a bunch of years ago. but people either loved it or hated it. too noisy was a common complaint....

Actually our pedals have a very low noise level. What happens is that very few people read the manual and don't set it up properly. This is from our manual:

2) The noise level of SansAmp Bass Driver DI is exceptionally low. However, it may amplify

noise emanating from the input source. Bear in mind that SansAmp Bass Driver DI

Comment

I have a ParaDriver that I prefer over the regular BassDriver. It has a control for mids that the BassDriver lacks.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Modulus Mob #2</b><br />
                <br />
                <font size="1">GK 2001 RB : Ampeg SVP-Pro : Ampeg SVP-CL : Crest CA4 : GB STL 900 : Mesa Walkabout<br />
                Bag End S15D : Bag End S15XD : Aguilar GS112 (2)<br />
                G&amp;L ASAT : Sadowsky NYC PJ5 : Modulus Q5 : EBMM SR4 : Warwick Thumb 5 BO : Yamaha ATT-LTD II</font><br />
                <br />
                <font size="1">bassgirl9's Wah ha ha! best post of the day award. 2/12/08</font></div>

Comment

• panthalassa
                  panthalassa commented
                  Editing a comment

The Para Driver has a killer "Jaco" sound (straight outta the manual!), but I prefer the immediate gratification of the Bass Driver; it does a fantastic job with my upright bass into my QSC K8. That's why I have both! .png" alt=":smileywink:" title="Smiley Wink" />

Actually, the PSA 1.1 is my bass preamp (into a 2000-watt QSC head and 2 x 15" Ampegs. But on most upright bass gigs, I just hand the sound person an XLR straight from my bass. No fuss, no muss.

I've had a SansAmp and have a Hartke Bass Attack. The SansAmp would probably last forever but I like the Hartke better; it's just easier to work with. I use mine as a stomper for when I need a little extra volume and tone shape. So what is probably generally considered a downgrade was an upgrade for me at much less money.

Just my.

Comment

I moved to bass from guitar for the last year or so. After buying the requisite GK rig (used) I tried the SansAmp and was convinced straight away. Did the next gig with no rig at all just the DI to the house PA. Eventually I liked the combination of SansAmp into GK head for max sound shaping but could and would go back to DI alone. Also use it for recording either on its own or as a pre into AmpliTube VST.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="5"><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color="DarkOrange">The ORANGE Conglomerate</font></font></font></div>

Comment

• Mr Temporary
                    Mr Temporary commented
                    Editing a comment

I have the programmable 3 button one, and originally bought it as a backup contingency plan although haven't ended up using it that way. It works well as a stompbox, though - I've got a good "normal" tone, an overdrive/distortion, and a slap tone out of one box. Still have a Big Muff Pi for fuzz.

I've had a Bass Driver for a few years, one of the best purchases I've made. Usually I'm going straight into the amp, since I like how my basses sound on their own, but I have the Sansamp set up for a nice SVT-ish, Geddy Lee-ish grind for certain songs. I'm still tweaking it, but I've found I've gotten better results running a passive jazz bass pickup-loaded instrument vs. an active bass with hot humbuckers.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="blue"><font size="2">Gear: Warwick, Spector, G&amp;L, Avatar, Nemesis, d'Addario, Peavey, Ampeg, Shure, Yamaha, Fender, Dunlop, Sansamp, Apple</font></font></div>

Comment

• Mr.Grumpy
                    Mr.Grumpy commented
                    Editing a comment

I've got one but I only use it for recording or to plug straight into a PA. That's what it's made for, it was never intended to be a "distortion box" in front of a bass amp but apparently a lot of people use it for that application. If it scoops your mids too much just dial back the bass and treble knobs. 

Working...
                X