Bass Fitness

Super Bass

• Members

for those that have the book, the preface talks about using all four fingers on your plucking hand. do all of you do this? i am not really interested in developing a 4 finger plucking style.

another question, i noticed i rarely play with my palm touching the back of the neck. i almost always use the pad of my thumb to support my fretting fingers. is this normal or not? the reason i ask is because i seem to get tired after a few minutes of playing these excercises and i understand this is the point of the book but i was just curious what everyone's take is on this. im not a n00b to the bass either, when my band plays out we normally play 3 sets with around 60-70 songs and i dont get tired the way i do constantly playing through these excercises.

• Members

I stick to using 2 or 3 fingers for the exercises, honestly. I rest my thumb as well. But I also get sore quickly and have carpal tunnel and am being a big dumbass about it, so maybe I should start practicing the proper way. :p

How are you liking the book so far?

• Members

for those that have the book, the preface talks about using all four fingers on your plucking hand. do all of you do this? i am not really interested in developing a 4 finger plucking style.

another question, i noticed i rarely play with my palm touching the back of the neck. i almost always use the pad of my thumb to support my fretting fingers. is this normal or not? the reason i ask is because i seem to get tired after a few minutes of playing these excercises and i understand this is the point of the book but i was just curious what everyone's take is on this. im not a n00b to the bass either, when my band plays out we normally play 3 sets with around 60-70 songs and i dont get tired the way i do constantly playing through these excercises.

I'm not really bothering with using all 4 on my plucking hand. I'm fine with what I do now... usually use 2 mostly sometimes a 3rd and my pinky finger for raking or right hand muting.

Joshua, it does exactly what it says on the tin. I've only been doing it for a week or so (not every day though) and it's helped immensely. It's less of a crap shoot now in terms of finger placement. They used to go wherever the hell they wanted... now they go where I want them to. :lol:

Currently learning Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius so this is a big help! Even still I don't know how the fcuk I'm gonna do that 6 fret stretch in the first position. :eek:

• Members

I've been working it for a while but I still get pretty tired - I can usually run through like 4-5 exercises before needing to stop. I did get exercise 1 up to 180bpm and exercise 2 up to 138bpm though, that's pretty sweet :0

The finger in one place exercises are brutalizing me though, on the 5-string. I simply cannot keep my finger down on the B string while fretting the G string with my other fingers, doesn't work - until I get past the 7th fret or so.

I actually had to slow them down to 40bpm to get started:P

• Members

I don't know how the fcuk I'm gonna do that 6 fret stretch in the first position.
:eek:

.... with a lot of care and caution I'd advise. You dont want to do any physical damage trying to emulate someone who was to all intents and purposes, a genius. :)

• Members

.... with a lot of care and caution I'd advise. You dont want to do any physical damage trying to emulate someone who was to all intents and purposes, a genius.
:)

I don't know. I'm pretty sure I could play circles around Stephen Hawking.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Welcome to HCBF!   Just wanted to let you know that you replied to a thread from 2009.  There is is very little chance you will get a meaningful reply...  Well, I guess my reply is meaningful, just not what you are looking for...

Anyway, welcome to HCBF.  Sit down and stay awhile and tell us about your basses....  :manhappy:

Archived