Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 basses to choose from - 10 days to decide - thoughts anyone???

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 basses to choose from - 10 days to decide - thoughts anyone???

OK here's my situation. I'm looking for a bass strictly for the studio. It has to be a 5 string. Period. My budget is only between $450 - about $600. I have previously owned a Fender MB5 (I used it in the studio for 14 years and toward the end it was ready for the pawn shop), and a Traben Attack (black burl top) - I never got to record with the Traben because it was stolen, but for the short time I had it I loved it! SO HERE'S THE 5 I'VE NARROWED IT DOWN TO: a 1999 Fender Standard Jazz (midnight blue), an ESP Ltd B series B-155DX STB (trans blue), a Warwick Rockbass Streamer Standard (ocean blue), a Traben Array Limited 5 Series (spalted maple - mmmmmmm!), and a BC Rich John Moyer Havoc (black burl top). I'm leaning toward the Traben of course - there's a sense of unfinished business there. But I'm interested in all of them and ANY thoughts, opinions, anecdotes and/or bitchslaps will be welcomed warmly.

if it's just for the studio, it really doesn't matter what the finish is, does it?

i'd go for a P bass of some sort.  always records well with a minimum of fuss.

You added another useless post...who could ask for more? - BMAL
    I actually just realised what a dumb thread this is - bassaussie
    What a stupid thread. - bassaussie
    Tall Girl was everything a HCBF thread should be. - ivanthetrble
    Take care of yourself...and each other. - jerry springer

you have brave ballz of cast iron to fight the trog forces of haTE. - boy#152

and after you're finished, you say-
    Ooh, what a lovely teaparty

Comment

• romefalls
      romefalls commented
      Editing a comment

No, the finish isn't a biggie - I prolly didn't need to be that thorough in describing the ones I'm looking at. Also - I know the best thing a person can do in this situation is just play a bunch of them till you find one that feels like home. But my circumstances don't allow me to do that. The timing on this is a bitch and I need to make the best of it. Hence, the post.

When you say it is for the studio, are we talking a home/project studio where you'll be the only one playing it, or is it a house bass for a working studio where other people will be using it?

Comment

As long as it is clean sounding. No static from dirty Pots or humming from bad grounding.You could record with any of them. Of your choices I would go with the Fender Jazz. It will have a good solid sound and give you some different sound options to play with. You haven't mentioned active or passive electronics.

Comment

• chunky-b
      chunky-b commented
      Editing a comment

So it's been over 10 days... Did you decide?

Working...
X