Smooth Jazz tone.....

coyote-1

• Members

Not always a huge fan of the genre**, but there's some good stuff there. Yesterday I heard a song called 'Wanting' by Gabriela Anders. It had a bass tone I hear often in smooth jazz: dark/deep yet clear and articulate with no muddiness. Heavyshift sometimes employs a similar bass tone, as does much other material in the genre.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has devoted time to getting that tone, and how they go about it.

**Full of great talent making great music. Doesn't hit me in the gut so I'm not a big fan, but that's not a fault of the music or its purveyors.

• Members

A quick listen gives me some idea of the tone and how to approach it. I've found that this particular tone is a little tricky to cop.

I'm hearing active electronics of some kind given the clarity of the notes, and the even dynamics are likely from a compressor. The low strings have that new string growl. The sound has some low end, but seems more focused on low mids than sheer bottom. Having a very light touch seems to be a big part of this tone.

I don't know that specific gear is really a big part of this tone. If you have good gear, you should be able to at least approach this kind of tone with the right touch.

Archived