Bass line for descending chords in 3/4?

okiebass

• Members

It's lkely I'll work this out by noodling with it till it sounds right, but I'm curious as to how other bass players would approach it. I've got an original tune in 3/4 time where each verse has a descending chord pattern: Bm, A, G, F#.  Two of those are played long enough for some wiggle room on what notes I play on the bass. But the remaining two are transitional: only there for one measure. Yeah I could just play the triad but that seems lazy. How do you guys approach this kind of challenge?

• Moderators

okiebass wrote:

It's lkely I'll work this out by noodling with it till it sounds right, but I'm curious as to how other bass players would approach it. I've got an original tune in 3/4 time where each verse has a descending chord pattern: Bm, A, G, F#.  Two of those are played long enough for some wiggle room on what notes I play on the bass. But the remaining two are transitional: only there for one measure. Yeah I could just play the triad but that seems lazy. How do you guys approach this kind of challenge?

I might go in the opposite direction. You could start at the B octave, 9th fret on the D string. Then for the A chord go up two frets for a C# note, the major 3rd of the A chord, the up a fret to D, the 5th of the G chord, then slide all the way down and catch a low Bb, 1st fret A string which is the major 3rd of hte F#, and back to Bm...

This, while sort of dancing around the scale, could bring you a bit of McCartney like contrary motion.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I was actually jamming a really similar progression the other day.  Here's a jumbly version of what I was thinking: (yes I did do triads on the bm, but it just felt right there)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---0-2-4-2-----------4------5------5----------------------------4-4------4-3-2-0-------

-2----------2-4-5-4-------7--5---7------------5-5-----5-3-2-------------------------2

---------------------------5-------5---5-5----33-----33-------2-2-----2-2-------------

Archived