Anyone played or owned the Basson cabs? specifically the 410?

Wookieslayer

• Members

I found a Basson 410 for sale and am wondering how good they really are. Supposedly the low end that is produced is about as low as 28hrz :cop: but even if this isn't entirely accurate, every review I've read said the low end is unbelievable. The thing looks ported and is sealed "air tight" with interior braces for each corner.

I'm playing in a band with a 5 string tuned to C standard or drop A# so a nice thick and punchy low end is what I'm going for... and I definitely am looking for a 410 cabinet and not a 115 or 810. If it matters the guitarists are using a Mesa Single Rec and a 50w JCM 800.

I will be running my guitarists Ampeg SVT or until I can afford my own head set up, I want to use the 400w power section of my Randall T2 and a Sansamp as a preamp sound and direct to the house DI. I guess I just want the best sound possible for stage monitoring and jams, but who knows if miking it will sound good too.

Thanks all for the help! :wave:

Cheers,

Wookie

Edit: did some research on talkbass... apparently to efficiently drive this cab I need at least a 750w power amp because the magnets on each speaker are 200 ounces each resulting in a 148lb 410 cab! :eek: wow! can anyone comment on this? seems like I might have to pass otherwise I would need to find a new head or rack mount power amp...

EDIT 2: I've found a Carvin BR410 locally for $180... anyone have experience with these? will the low end be sufficient?

• Members

Yeah as much as I want to be able to have that low low end I don't think it's worth it to carry that beast around when I will probably go DI for most shows anyway. Also now we've decided to stay in C standard tuning now, so I'm probably going to hold out for a sweet Ampeg 410 or lightweight GK, Markbass, etc. I read some reviews on that Carvin BR410 and some said it was lacking on the low end and didn't compare to the BRX or redline series for example.

Thanks for the responses!

• Members

Yeah as much as I want to be able to have that low low end I don't think it's worth it to carry that beast around when I will probably go DI for most shows anyway. Also now we've decided to stay in C standard tuning now, so I'm probably going to hold out for a sweet Ampeg 410 or lightweight GK, Markbass, etc. I read some reviews on that Carvin BR410 and some said it was lacking on the low end and didn't compare to the BRX or redline series for example.

Thanks for the responses!

My bassist had a brx 10.4 neo cab for about 5 minutes as part of an entire carvin set up before every individual piece failed. While it still worked he did a back to back comparison with a behringer 4x10 cab. The behringer was louder and deeper and the behringer frankly sucks. Im not sure who does the cab rating at carvin but the specs seem to be a big fat lie, or the behringer is rated at like 140db at 1w and 20hz.

If the brx didnt have much bass and the br series has less i dont think its what you are looking for.

My bassist ended up having me build some custom cabs for him so he could get that low low that you are talking about. He plays EB-0's with flatwounds, a rubber pic and a 1000w ampeg eq-ed to earthquake and has recently added a 5 string, god help us all.

Acme is supposed to be the king of super bassy cabs but ive never heard one.

• Members

My bassist had a brx 10.4 neo cab for about 5 minutes as part of an entire carvin set up before every individual piece failed. While it still worked he did a back to back comparison with a behringer 4x10 cab. The behringer was louder and deeper and the behringer frankly sucks. Im not sure who does the cab rating at carvin but the specs seem to be a big fat lie, or the behringer is rated at like 140db at 1w and 20hz.

If the brx didnt have much bass and the br series has less i dont think its what you are looking for.

My bassist ended up having me build some custom cabs for him so he could get that low low that you are talking about. He plays EB-0's with flatwounds, a rubber pic and a 1000w ampeg eq-ed to earthquake and has recently added a 5 string, god help us all.

Acme is supposed to be the king of super bassy cabs but ive never heard one.

Hey dude, really appreciate the review. Yeah I've read mixed things regarding the Carvin cabs. I imagine one would have to buy their best gear to really reap good tone. Maybe the neodymium line? but at that point there are other bass companies offering the same for less or more or less the same price.

I will look into Acme cabs but as I am an unemployed student with loans to pay relatively soon, I'll most likely be looking for used cabs.

Cheers,

Wookie

• Members

Hey dude, really appreciate the review. Yeah I've read mixed things regarding the Carvin cabs. I imagine one would have to buy their best gear to really reap good tone. Maybe the neodymium line? but at that point there are other bass companies offering the same for less or more or less the same price.

I will look into Acme cabs but as I am an unemployed student with loans to pay relatively soon, I'll most likely be looking for used cabs.

Cheers,

Wookie

I thought the BRX series was their top of the line stuff. I wasnt terribely impressed by it, the 2000w head or the 1x18 cab as all failed very quickly. I can go into greater detail if you want, ive posted it a number of times and im sure most people are tired of the story by now.

Acme's arent super cheap and i dont think ive ever seen one used. My bassist used a SWR Goliath Jr 6x10 for awhile that sounded a lot bassier than it actually was that i think he got for $400ish.

You could always try building something as well. When my bassist had me build his cabs he found a couple of great deals on speakers that helped quite a bit. Now he has a 2x15 and a 2x10+2x12 stack that is tuned between 48hz and 90 hz depending on which chamber we're talking about and it sounds absolutley massive.

• Members

While I have absolutely no idea how they would sond like, I do remember a couple of threads on Talkbass and here (which I can't be bothered to supply), that showcase the owners of the company as complete and utter assholes... Yeah, I know I'm no help...

• Members

While I have absolutely no idea how they would sond like, I do remember a couple of threads on Talkbass and here (which I can't be bothered to supply), that showcase the owners of the company as complete and utter assholes... Yeah, I know I'm no help...

I'm not sure if he's so much an ass, but the cabs on the whole are very inefficient and the stated specs are kinda ridiculous. They're also made of MDF which is heavy as f**k and isn't exactly the most robust material.

The company is out of business if that tells you anything OP.

• Members

Yeah I knew they were out of business. I remember when Musician's Friend had their 412 guitar cabs on clearance for like 300, give or take a bill.

I've just seen so many "good" reviews despite it being made of MDF; something to do with how they port or seal the cabs with some sort of caulking... I heard they were comparable to Vader cabs in sound so I've always been intrigued.

Both guitarists in the band have actually played bass in other bands before so they have Ampeg 410s available in case a show comes up before I get my own rig so I'm not too worried. I've just kept my eyes open for deals and this Basson 410 popped up for $150 obo, though it has sold now.

I'm actually debating on picking up a 2x12 Basson guitar cab about 45 min from me for $150, for something to keep in my bedroom and have something a bit more portable than my Randall 412 for jams.

• Members

I'm actually debating on picking up a 2x12 Basson guitar cab about 45 min from me for $150, for something to keep in my bedroom and have something a bit more portable than my Randall 412 for jams.

Is it actually smaller? I remember the 210 bass cab was about the size of a standard 410.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Yea they were asses!!! I bought one new in 2006 and I had called and talked to shawn for research on the B410 was really cool! But I went ahead and bought the monster and Yep it freakin Rocked! BUT after about 3 months of loading and unloading the screws in the Wheels pulled out of the wood! Soooo I call shawn and he basically called me a liar and told me he never heard of such a thing the told me to stick toothpicks in the holes a screw them back in it wiuld be fine!!! Yea right i ended up drilling holes and putting bolts in instead of wood screws problem solved right??? Not hardly it did work but after awhile the bottom of the cabinet cracked and now leans by this time they had went belly up! So I am stuck with this piece o crap cab!!!!! I have an Ampeg 410HE with a blown speaker so I am thinking of loading it with the Basson Drivers! Making a "Frankinpeg" good idea or bad? All comments welcome! Thanks!

Archived