Damn you Adolph Rickenbacker/John Hall!

der oxenrig

• Members

So I spend 20 bucks on straplocks today, only to find, my Rickenbacker doesn't have strap buttons that can be changed with a simple Phillips-head screwdriver! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: In fact, I don't know if they can be changed at all. Can they be? Has anybody actually changed the strap buttons for straplocks? :confused:

• CMS Author

So I spend 20 bucks on straplocks today, only to find,
my Rickenbacker doesn't have strap buttons that can be changed with a simple Phillips-head screwdriver!
:mad:
:mad: In fact, I don't know if they can be changed at all. Can they be? Has anybody actually changed the strap buttons for straplocks?
:confused:

No, they can't. You must use what came with the bass, because they are actually part of the body. Rickenbacker discovered a forest of maple trees with Schaller buttons growing in them.......

• Members
If the body has threaded inserts, take the old button to a hardware store and match the size and thread pitch to get replacement bolts, and use these with your straplocks. The inserts are a LOT stronger than using a wood screw into the body.

There's the rub - no inserts. Ric is screwing machine screws into wood.

• Members

eventually, i'm going to replace the factory schallers with dunlops, just because i prefer them, and because i've got dunlops on all of my other basses.

the plan is to pull out the ric-o-schallers, drill out the bass a little and stick in some threaded inserts to mount the dunlops to.

• CMS Author

eventually, i'm going to replace the factory schallers with dunlops, just because i prefer them, and because i've got dunlops on all of my other basses.

the plan is to pull out the ric-o-schallers, drill out the bass a little and stick in some threaded inserts to mount the dunlops to.

Be veeeewwyyy cawefuwl.... You need to sand off the finish to the outside diameter of the insert threads, to keep it from chipping off and cracking. Then be sure to use the correct size drill for the insert...too large, and it goes in crooked and cracks the body...too small, and the insert jams, and cracks the body.

• CMS Author

Mine's an '05. Matt's is roughly the same vintage.

Interesting. Is there any 'stuff' in the hole? (lol) threadlock compound or anything? Maple's a fairly hard wood, but I wouldn't use machine screws in it. I can't imagine they tapped the hole. Oh...coarse or fine thread?

• Members

Interesting. Is there any 'stuff' in the hole? (lol) threadlock compound or anything? Maple's a fairly hard wood, but I wouldn't use machine screws in it. I can't imagine they tapped the hole. Oh...coarse or fine thread?

No threadlock that I saw, and a fine thread.

Makes no sense to anyone with a modicum of experience working with wood. I assume the Rickenbacker factory has at least a couple of those?

• CMS Author

No threadlock that I saw, and a fine thread.

Makes
no
sense to anyone with a modicum of experience working with wood. I assume the Rickenbacker factory has at least a couple of those?

Well, in the other Ric thread they're accused of being "horribly run". Maybe this is proof. :D

• Members

Use a channel-lock pliers or vise grip. Grip the strap buttons from the side and unscrew them.

Get some Elmer's wood glue and some wooden kitchen matches. Fill the strap button screw hole with glue and insert a wooden kitchen match. Cut the match off flush with the bass body and let the glue set overnight.

Install the new strap locks.

I did this two years ago with my '74 RIc 4001 and it worked out just fine. :thu:

• Members

Greetings everybody, longtime lurker, rarely post unless I have something useful to say.......................

No need for any of that. The stock pegs just unscrew and can be replaced with Schaller ready replacements. Order from Mike Parks here:

http://www.the-music-connection.com/ricpart.htm

$10 each unless you need gold

Also worth noting that the stock screws that you take out are the same as the ones that hold the foam mute in on the bridge.

• Members

Greetings everybody, longtime lurker, rarely post unless I have something useful to say.......................

No need for any of that. The stock pegs just unscrew and can be replaced with Schaller ready replacements. Order from Mike Parks here:

http://www.the-music-connection.com/ricpart.htm

$10 each unless you need gold

Also worth noting that the stock screws that you take out are the same as the ones that hold the foam mute in on the bridge.

Welcome! :wave:

But why bother with that replacement? The stock Rickenbacker pegs are Schaller-ready. The only reason to do any of that (replacement) is if you insist upon using Dunlops (or another brand)...

Am I missing something here? :confused:

• Members

But why bother with that replacement? The stock Rickenbacker pegs are Schaller-ready. The only reason to do any of that (replacement) is if you insist upon using Dunlops (or another brand)...

Yep, they are stock now, just a guess but prior to about 85 it was just a simple machine screw strap button.

Thanks for the welcome:cool:

Archived