Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn you Adolph Rickenbacker/John Hall!

So I spend 20 bucks on straplocks today, only to find, my Rickenbacker doesn't have strap buttons that can be changed with a simple Phillips-head screwdriver! In fact, I don't know if they can be changed at all. Can they be? Has anybody actually changed the strap buttons for straplocks?
    ~Sean

listen?

be our friend?

Code:
    My rig:
    Rickenbacker 4003 >> Sunn 200s >> Custom Schroeder 4x12 (and ocassionally another Sunn 2x15)
    /
    Morley Bad Horsie II Wah
    /
    Sunn Sceptre >> Sunn 2x15 (Loaded with Weber Ceramic Thames & Chicago 15s)

Originally Posted by bassesofalessergod

one thing that can be said about the Ox.

He is the keeper of the flame of rock and roll for sure!

Originally Posted by Kindness

I the Ox.

mine was already set up for schallers. I figured they were all like that
    President of the HCBF "DEATH TO FALSE METAL!" ClubOriginally posted by Burdizzos- What's the difference between B-Bottom and a Dildo?A dildo was good enough to be in Phoenix Rizin'

Comment

Most rics I have seen have had schaller buttons as standard, but on a machine screw instead of a wood screw.

You should be able to change them if you remove the current pins then fill the hole in with wood putty.
      tele burns longer, strat burns hotter
      Number 9, Number 9, Number 9
      My Gear:
      LeCompte #41 (5 string)
      Boss TU-2
      GK 400RB
      Turn me on Dead Man

Comment

Ox: Grap hold of them with a pliers and unscrew them. They have a stud which is part of the strap button. They are threaded in.
        If man evolved from apes why do we still have apes?

Lost from EBassist

Comment

So I spend 20 bucks on straplocks today, only to find, my Rickenbacker doesn't have strap buttons that can be changed with a simple Phillips-head screwdriver! In fact, I don't know if they can be changed at all. Can they be? Has anybody actually changed the strap buttons for straplocks?

No, they can't. You must use what came with the bass, because they are actually part of the body. Rickenbacker discovered a forest of maple trees with Schaller buttons growing in them.......

Comment

jeez, I changed mine as soon as I got my 4001. That was in 1975, however. The design might have changed a bit since then...
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Two options:

1. Dowel the hole, and install what you want.

2. Superglue the faux-Schallers into their holes. Regular wood glue didn't work on mine.
              Removed your Fender Precision S-1 switch? I want it. PM me.

Hundred Years War.
              The Secret Club.
              Jackie Carol.

Comment

If the body has threaded inserts, take the old button to a hardware store and match the size and thread pitch to get replacement bolts, and use these with your straplocks. The inserts are a LOT stronger than using a wood screw into the body.

Comment

What is "Take them back and get schallers" Alex. I'll take Things things that Suck for $800.
                  Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
                  Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
                  You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
                  You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull
                  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LUG

Comment

If the body has threaded inserts, take the old button to a hardware store and match the size and thread pitch to get replacement bolts, and use these with your straplocks. The inserts are a LOT stronger than using a wood screw into the body.
                    There's the rub - no inserts. Ric is screwing machine screws into wood.

Hundred Years War.
                    The Secret Club.
                    Jackie Carol.

Comment

No, they can't. You must use what came with the bass, because they are actually part of the body. Rickenbacker discovered a forest of maple trees with Schaller buttons growing in them.......

Comment

eventually, i'm going to replace the factory schallers with dunlops, just because i prefer them, and because i've got dunlops on all of my other basses.

the plan is to pull out the ric-o-schallers, drill out the bass a little and stick in some threaded inserts to mount the dunlops to.
                        Smash The State!

Now shipping, "Just the Tip" our very very DIY demo. Hit meh if you're interested.

Comment

There's the rub - no inserts. Ric is screwing machine screws into wood.

Hmm. Mine's not like that...it's a 2000 4003, and it's got Schallers installed with wood screws.

Comment

eventually, i'm going to replace the factory schallers with dunlops, just because i prefer them, and because i've got dunlops on all of my other basses.

the plan is to pull out the ric-o-schallers, drill out the bass a little and stick in some threaded inserts to mount the dunlops to.

Be veeeewwyyy cawefuwl.... You need to sand off the finish to the outside diameter of the insert threads, to keep it from chipping off and cracking. Then be sure to use the correct size drill for the insert...too large, and it goes in crooked and cracks the body...too small, and the insert jams, and cracks the body.

Comment

Hmm. Mine's not like that...it's a 2000 4003, and it's got Schallers installed with wood screws.
                              Mine's an '05. Matt's is roughly the same vintage.

Hundred Years War.
                              The Secret Club.
                              Jackie Carol.

Comment

Working...
                              X