X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Medical System

My friend in New Jersey is not well.
    But she is a temp for a company and tells me she does not have medical insurance.
    What does all this mean?

Here and in UK, if we get sick, we go to the public health system.
    It is not perfect, but it is paid for out of taxes.

What happens in the USA?
    Gear: German Upright > K&K Pickup and pre > Sansamp > Nemesis 2x10, other **************** I dont need or use

Code:
    _ ________
    | / () () \n | | |_
    | | |^^^^| | |
    |_| | | | |
    | ^^^^ | |
    ________/_|
    | || |
    ---- ----
    Swinging Beef and the Daptoids

Well, I don't know about NJ state laws, but in Washington State persons without an option for private insurance can apply for state-sponsored insurance. Other than that, there are free clinics and indigent care facilities. She's not SOL, I just don't know if she's looking at all her options.
    1975 Gibson Grabber
    2002 G&L L-2000
    2001 SWR Mo'Bass
    Ampeg 610
    MXR M-80

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/72-Parasite.mp3

Comment

The US doesn't have a National Health Plan like the UK. Some employers provide medical insurance. Many don't, so people either carry their own policies (which is expensive) or they go to hospital emergency rooms, which places an undue burden on the staff, and on the taxpayers.

Edit: The Rev has a good point. There are state-sponsored clinics and volunteer medical clinics out there, too.
      Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
      Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
      Attention Whore-T-broom
      I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
      Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
      grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
      Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

My friend in New Jersey is not well.
        But she is a temp for a company and tells me she does not have medical insurance.
        What does all this mean?

Here and in UK, if we get sick, we go to the public health system.
        It is not perfect, but it is paid for out of taxes.

What happens in the USA?

If you're in the country illegally and can't pay you go to the hospital and they fix you up at taxpayer expense. If you're a US citizen and can't pay they just let you die.

Comment

This thread was created 23 minutes after I was finished watching "SiCKO"... coincidence? I think not!

Haha, maybe I have superhuman powers?
          Originally Posted by BOALG

you guys should be more like Mytola!

Originally Posted by Renfield

Mytola FTW!

--------------------------

G&L Tribute L2500 Premium
          G&L L2500 Blackburst'n'maple - ON ORDER!
          Boss GT-10B
          TC Electronic BG500 2x10" Combo

Comment

I don't know if it applies all over, but in general US Medical policy is that you will not be turned away if you can't pay. You may get an amputated leg instead of reconstructive surgery, but you won't be told to go sit in a gutter and die.
            Play more bass.

Comment

They have to stablize you here in Oklahoma. This is the limit. After that, if you don't have insurance, pretty much screwed. You can go to the county health department. Usually long wait time and usually not good care, but beats dieing....
              Ty

Looking for a set of Dimarzio model J's.

Good Judgement comes from experience,
              Experience comes from bad judgement.

Yep. He's the anti-puss. Bnyswonger
              I vote for you having the best avatar! STFF

Comment

Wow.
                I had no idea.
                It sounds awful.
                Gear: German Upright > K&K Pickup and pre > Sansamp > Nemesis 2x10, other **************** I dont need or use

Code:
                _ ________
                | / () () \n | | |_
                | | |^^^^| | |
                |_| | | | |
                | ^^^^ | |
                ________/_|
                | || |
                ---- ----
                Swinging Beef and the Daptoids

Comment

Usually long wait time and usually not good care, but beats dieing....

Just like most socialized medicine. Seriously, no one is turned away that is truely sick. You won't get cosmetic surgery but if you need real care, you will get it. You will also get socked with a bill that lots don't pay. No debter's prison and a 7 year credit recycle means it's not really permenant. An example I know well is pregnant illegals who can't pay. They won't get an epidural, but they will get the same healthcare level of treatment as regular paying patient.
                  Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
                  Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
                  You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
                  You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull
                  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LUG

Comment

Yeah, it's not perfect but it's the system we've got. I have a fair amount of experience with seeking care whilst uninsured, so here's my take:

Usually places will require payment up front (or at least a significant deposit) if you don't have insurance. If you don't have the money, you don't get treated. The exception to this rule is the emergency room or urgent care, where they can't turn you away. That's why a lot of people in the US treat the ER like primary care; they simply can't pay to see a doctor in the normal fashion. They will bill you of course, but those that can't pay up often let the bill go to collections and ruin their credit (if they have good credit in the first place). Hospitals write off an unfathomable amount of costs every year.

Free clinics are great, but they're not available everywhere. Where free clinics do exist, expect tremendously long wait times. Many physicians basically donate their services for such places and are overworked, so don't expect the greatest quality of care. It is free, after all.

Many states have medical plans worked into their welfare system, but they're often hard to get onto. If your friend is single and working, chances are she won't qualify. She'd be better off if she was unemployed and had a couple illegitimate children she couldn't afford. Sad but true.

My old roommate had a tooth crack and break off, exposing the soft inner part and causing him and incredible amount of pain. He was taking ibuprofen and other over-the-counter analgesics pretty much 24/7 and he was still suffering a great deal. He didn't have dental insurance, so he called around to six different dentistry places in town seeking treatment. The cheapest one wanted $600 cash upfront before they'd even examine him. Needless to say he didn't have the money, so he suffered. We usually don't have urgent care dentistry here in the states (at least I've never heard of one) so he suffered for months until the insurance from his new job kicked in.

Yeah, if you're not insured or don't have the ability to pay, you're screwed. At least we have a system in place to make sure you're not completely SOL in a medical emergency. Like sunburstbasser said, you won't be left in a gutter to die.

Comment

Wasn't there a plan in Massachusetts to ensure that 99.9% of its residents had health insurance? They were going to pass a law mandating it, and whomever didn't have an employer that offered it and couldn't afford a private plan would be covered under a state plan for pennies in some cases.

It got a lot of fanfare when the plan was rolled out, but I don't know how well it's done.

Anyway, unlike many countries with a national healthcare system, the majority of medical care in the U.S., certainly beyond ordinary checkups, are paid either in cash up front or through medical insurance. That insurance is offered by many employers, but not all, and being self-insured can be ridiculously expensive. On top of that, a lot of insurance policies have a ridiculously high deductible, like $1000 over the course of a year, before they start paying for "special treatment" such as X-rays, CAT scans, ambulance rides, "heroic measures" to save a life, etc. Better than nothing, though; without insurance the average E.R. patient would have a $5000 bill. And the hospital would expect payment whether the patient lived or died.
                      Yamaha BB404Fender Mexi Jazz, customizedYamaha TRB-1005Fender Highway-1 Strat, customizedEpiphone Les Paul, Worn BrownTakamine Jasmine acousticTaylor 114ce acoustic/electricPeavey 210TX+ext 2x2x10 comboFender Bassman 150 1x12h comboWhen shopping for an axe, you will probably find yourself negotiating with your checkbook. This is normal, but do refrain from talking to it out loud.

Comment

It's just insane that people earn ****************loads of money by providing healthcare and health insurance. Good healthcare is extremely important and should be paid for by the state/government.
                        Originally Posted by BOALG

you guys should be more like Mytola!

Originally Posted by Renfield

Mytola FTW!

--------------------------

G&L Tribute L2500 Premium
                        G&L L2500 Blackburst'n'maple - ON ORDER!
                        Boss GT-10B
                        TC Electronic BG500 2x10" Combo

Comment

Medical care is not the responsability of the government, It is the responsability of the individual! That said we should have a saftey net in place, which we do, its called Medicaid. My first son was born when I was 20 and had no insurance, medicaid paid for every penny. We were not treated like kings and queens, but were treated. Long waits for doctor visit was par, but we did see a doctor. When I was able to get a job that offered health care (some 16 months later) we jummped on it. I now take care to insure that any job I take offers good insurance. For a time I was self employed and purchased my own coverage. Expensive? You bet, but was still a write off on taxes and I viewed it as My Responsability! Grow up America and stop looking for someone else to take care of you! Medical care should be like good parents, were are here to help if you need us, but as an adult- manage your own house.
                          "If your not good, you better be entertaining"

Comment

Medical care is not the responsability of the government, It is the responsability of the individual! That said we should have a saftey net in place, which we do, its called Medicaid. My first son was born when I was 20 and had no insurance, medicaid paid for every penny. We were not treated like kings and queens, but were treated. Long waits for doctor visit was par, but we did see a doctor. When I was able to get a job that offered health care (some 16 months later) we jummped on it. I now take care to insure that any job I take offers good insurance. For a time I was self employed and purchased my own coverage. Expensive? You bet, but was still a write off on taxes and I viewed it as My Responsability! Grow up America and stop looking for someone else to take care of you! Medical care should be like good parents, were are here to help if you need us, but as an adult- manage your own house.

I like you.
                            #NoLimitCornballBrother

BRO CLUB: RSBro

Originally Posted by Phrophus

Look man, if RSBro is telling you not to give in to the pimp side and keep it rational, I'd listen.

Originally Posted by Holy War

I thought you were black for some reason...

Originally Posted by Murdoch

Not to be a dick, but you're a pretentious douche, and a closet Periphery fan.

Originally Posted by jnurp

im in nyc, you are in texas, will a long distance relationship work?

Comment

I like you.

can I quote you?
                              "If your not good, you better be entertaining"

Comment

Working...
                              X