Top 3 basses you ever had?

Fenfer Fan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by mlwarriner

tie between a Fender Aerodyne Jazz and a Fender semi-Geddy jazz, both black.

In fact I'm in doubt between the 'wick I mentioned and the TRB-6. The 'wick was in a much better shape, but the Yummy's pups were hotter and I used to love the extra range for soloing. So I'll do the same as you and just consider it a tie, hehe. ;)

Peace.

• Members

Hmmm...

1. Might just be my old Reverend... Regret selling this one every day.

2. Schecter Model T - A good passive bass, and I like having the P pickup in my arsenal. A decent replacement for the Rev I guess. Not 100% crazy about the gloss finish on the neck.

3. Ernie Ball Music Man Bongo 4HH - A nice, light bass. It has more of the tone I was after than the Sterling had, but I'd still love to try a dual-pickup Sterling or Stingray. I'm not 100% crazy about the finished neck (not as smooth and easy to play as the Sterling neck).

Honorable Mentions:

Fender Deluxe V - except for plastic nut.

Peavey Cirrus - Played and looked very nice, but it was difficult to get more traditional tones.

Yamaha BB1500A - What a deal on that bass. A VERY solid J-style bass.

Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling - The color scheme I really wanted, but I was really missing a neck pickup. Played extremely well too.

• Members

Since I've only owned 3 basses ever this is easy!

Current basses are pretty much even, one is an 80's MIJ Squier P-bass I got used for $100 c. 1990 (no bag/case), other is a MIM Fender Jazz (w/OHSC ) bought used for $250 3 or 4 years ago.

Only other bass I had was a "Hondo II" Explorer-style bass with a bolt-on maple neck and 1 P-style split HB pickup, which I got back in the 80's. No idea what I paid for it but I'm sure it wasn't much. It was pretty junky. Playable but with electrics issues. It got stolen 3 or 4 years ago, which was my excuse to get the Fender Jazz.

:thu:

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Fenfer Fan

What's up, man? Still got the 2 CDs you sent me (Copacetic/Looks of Concern) and every once in a while I listen to them. Great pop stuff there, dude!
Peace.

I'm good. How are you?

If you think those are good, take a listen to my new band (links in my sig).

Also, I recorded all the covers and the two originals called "No Mystery" and "Shadow" at the link below. In fact, those two originals might also be on the Copacetic CD, but the recording quality is better for Mythical Pickle.

http://www.mythicalpickle.com/music.htm

• Members

Originally posted by wainwright

maynn do i ever envy you chaps

only one measley bass

a 62' f j

the only one since i bought it back then

think its time for a couple more?

oiiii

I'm pretty sure that's all the bass anyone ever NEEDS. But its VERY easy to convince yourself otherwise, especially around here.

• Members

1. Music Man Bongo 4 HH

It does everything I need a bass to do, sounds great, and is extremely playable. I'll agree with Brian that the painted neck is a bit annoying, but I'm used to that thanks to the Daion.

2. Daion Power Mark XX-B

The first bass I had serious GAS for, it sounds like a Fender on steroids and has an incredile rock tone. Still fairly versatile, but only sounds its best with new strings. The neck is my favorite bass neck ever-I doubt I'll find something I like more.

3. ESP LTD C-304

A distant third. I've never been able to put my finger on why I didn't like this bass, but it never felt or sounded right to me. I think it was the all-maple construction-I've never played an all-maple bass that I've liked, excepting bnyswonger's Ric. It was a fine bass-just not for me.

• Members

...no particular order...

1. 2003 Spector Euro 4, natural/gold, EMG P/Js, the good old EMG 3-band pre

2. 2003 Modulus Q5 fretless, natural/gold, EMG hums, Aggy 3-band pre

3. Trust 'ol 1988 Charvel B-3 4-string, firecrackle/black, upgraded EMG P/Js, 2-band pre (don't know what kind), 3-way pickup switch (J solo, dual, P solo)

• Members

My current stash.

Ric 4003, Jetglo with black truss cover and pickguard (poor man's Shadow),

Fender CIJ '62 Jazz RI, Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock,

Epiphone Jack Casady.

Honorable mention: the non-reissue Fender Mustang, Daphne Blue, that I inherited from my aunt when she died. Sounds awesome with dead flats on it. The only bass I'll never sell.

• Members

photo146d16uo4.jpg

dscf0114dx0.jpg

dscf0250ma6.jpg

The Tobias is #1, but after that it's a crap shoot, I could easily have named 2 others. If I had to sell basses, I'd keep the Tobias, but I'd need to roll dice on the others to decide. It's just like the parents always said, "we love you all equally, except your sister, she's the favorite."

Well, maybe they never SAID it, but ...

Archived