Hartke 410xl or hartke 4.5xl??

djr

• Members

I'm trying to decide on the hartke 410xl or the 4.5 xl bass cabs , since i'm buying online and have only tested the 4.5 is there any difference ?? mostly in the low end ?? any opinions please??

thanks

Danny

• Members

To me, Hartke 10"s were always weak in the bottom end. Their cabs were a good deal more shallow than Eden and SWR cabs, but they might have fixed this here recently.

You might hate not having that bottom available later. Without a doubt go listen to one with your own bass in hand at concert volume.

Concert volume is probably louder than you almost ever hear inside the music store. Also take a long ass instrument cable and stand like 20 feet from the cab. Some 10"s push hard and fat when you are 3 feet away and are completely washed out at audience distance.

I hope this help. Thanks.

• Members

I think the main difference in the 4.5 is it has a high end tweeter. So the low end will most likely have no difference. I really don't get why bass companies put tweeters in bass cabs? But hey they do and can easily be dialed down or disconnected.

Any chance you could try a Hartke Hydrive cab? They're new and sound great to my ears.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hi there !

I re-open an old topic to ask you something berore buying a new amp and cabs.

I play bass in a Death Metal Band and the drumer has a very loud play. I'm look for something enough sharp for the punch, enough clear to understand the bass line, but with a bit of depth in sound anyway.

I have an USA LTD F-254 dropped in C, with EMG pickups and EMG active egalizer.

I'll buy Hartke XL cabs with their aluminium cone drivers. I think I'll put a 15" (for the loud and the depth) aside a Xx10" (for the medium and clearness).

My question is about the 10" :

- the 115XL is given for 200W @ 8 ohm. If I take the 210XL I'll have 200W @ 8ohm too, and this could be easily transported.

- the 410 XL gives 400 W @ 8 ohm, that's too much aside the 115XL, very heavy. But the 4x10 is a bigger cab, wich means that the tone will be different. Moreover, the speakers will be higher from the floor, and will be more easy too hear.

- everyone seems to prefer the 4.5 XL, due too his different tone when using only 4.5 XL in comparision of the 410 XL. But I can't find any feedback about using the 4.5 XL aside a 115 XL cabinet. I fear this would be too loud or something...

- the last possibility would be the 2.5 XL, wich is a medley of everything before.

If someone could help me a bit.

PS : english isn't y natural speaking I do y best :p

• Members

hi grinder! you're doing OK.  where are you from?

i'm not a fan of any Hartke gear, but some people do like them.  go figure.

with the cabinet configuration you're thinking of, you will not hear the 15 so much as feel it.  it will widen out the bottom of the sound.  give it greater depth.

i used to play with a 2x10 and an 1x18.  teh 2x10 defined the sound, the 18 gave it substance.

for what you are playing , my inclination would be the 4x10 with a 1x15.

what are you using for an amp?

Archived