Peavey tour 700 opinions

mctoy

• Members

Some may remember my post re: SWR Working Pro 210 amp clipping/overheating awhile back. I played two full practices thru our mixing board and amp with no problems while amp was at the dealer. (So not my bass) Tried one last time with a 1X15 extension cab, as the dealer thought I was "pushing it too hard" (Gain at 3 - Volume at 5-6) With the extension cab, the power amp still clips and the amp cuts out - at even lower settings! Def. something wrong here. Its going back! Anyhoo, wanted your opinions on the Peavey tour 700 heads and tour cabs. Any advice on head cab recommendations appreciated. Trying to keep this in the 1000 - 1200 range. We are 2 guitars, keys, medium loud drummer and bass, playing Sarah smile - Dizz knee land, so I need some power to cover alot a of ground.

(500+ watts?)

Thanks again for your help.

Mctoy

• Members

Peavey are like the Ford truck of bass amps... big dumb old technology that's dead-reliable and tough as Hell.

I've dropped my Peavey several times. Once it fell off of the back of a 6-feet elevated stage... it was on top of my 810, so it actually fell 11 feet.

• Members

Yeah, the tour series is darn good. You'd probably be OK with the Tour 450 and a 4x10 if you wanted to save some cash. Peavey is good and reliable. It'll wax anything in its price range and only the most snobbish of tone snobs will be able to tell the difference between a Peavey rig and something that costs twice as much.

• Members

I played with a guy who had one of the early ones, it had the "prematurely firing triac" issue. It would mute itself at high input levels. We were sharing a bass rig on tour once and kept having this problem whenever i would play slap. It was frustrating, everytime i would get into it, the thing would mute. Peavey recognized & fixed the problem though, and if you end up with one with this problem (not likey, if buying new don't worry at all) they'll fix it for free.

• Members

Peavey are like the Ford truck of bass amps... big dumb old technology that's dead-reliable and tough as Hell.

I've dropped my Peavey several times. Once it fell off of the back of a 6-feet elevated stage... it was on top of my 810, so it actually fell 11 feet.

:lol: My wife ran over my Peavey Mark VIII head in the garage once - she's lucky her car wasn't hurt! The only damage the Peavey took was a bent screw that held on one of the rubber feet.

Peavey bass amps are fantastic - good solid tone, good solid and dependable power, and a great value for $$$. A Tour 450 or 700 should be as much as most people need.

• Members

Very few Peavey pieces that are absolute junk. Lots of innovation, lots of good reliable stuff too. They made a ton of really neat 3-way cabs, biampable bass heads with chorus on the highs, so on and so forth. Graphite basses at a reasonable price point (900-ish new for a g-bass, eh?).

If I had to pick one company to endorse for all my bass playing, guitar and PA needs, it'd be Peavey. They've got good to great offerings in every single line.

• Members

Wow!

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I am a Peavey snob (If there is such a thing) Was out of music for 12-15 years, so alot of new stuff that I am not familiar with. Had an original 212 classic tube guitar amp (pre VT series) for over 20 years. That thing survived my teen years to my 30's and still rocked when I quit playing. Rare earth to Van halen! I had read somewhere about the triac chip problem with the tour 700, and that was my concern. Seems thay have stopped putting them in now I guess (?)

Ok so Tour 700 it is. :rawk:

Now, what cabs? 410 or 1X15.

Does Peavey make a 412?

Really appreciate the replies from real players not salesmen.

PS: the SWR sounded fantastic, just didnt work!

Mctoy

• Members

Wow!

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I am a Peavey snob (If there is such a thing) Was out of music for 12-15 years, so alot of new stuff that I am not familiar with. Had an original 212 classic tube guitar amp (pre VT series) for over 20 years. That thing survived my teen years to my 30's and still rocked when I quit playing. Rare earth to Van halen! I had read somewhere about the triac chip problem with the tour 700, and that was my concern. Seems thay have stopped putting them in now I guess (?)

Ok so Tour 700 it is.
:rawk:
Now, what cabs? 410 or 1X15.

Does Peavey make a 412?

Really appreciate the replies from real players not salesmen.

PS: the SWR sounded fantastic, just didnt work!

Mctoy

Peavey made a ridiculously awesome 4x12 (412TVX) that was also like 130lbs. But, it looks like you can get them pretty cheap if you can find them ~$250

• Members

Just fyi perhaps the best sounding rig I've played through was a Tour 700 head into the Tour 115, with a Schecter three band pre five string Stiletto. Only at store volume though, but man oh man what a rich, thick, beautiful tone!

• Members

I prefer 4x10s myself but I've heard people get great tones out of 18", 15", 12" 10" & 8" and heard people get bad tones out of them too so it's really just up to you and what works for you. Go try some out.

A 4x10 or 2x15 should get plenty loud.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I'm looking at a Tour 700 also. Similar situation, years out of playing and come back to a new and in many respects, disappointing world - gear wise.

In the 80's I had a Peavey Mega Bass and the 1516 that went with it and for me, that has become the comparative standard. Was playing a Steinberger and old early 70's JB at the time, and fortunately still have them, but not the amp. It was the best bass amp I had heard at the time, a view supported by friends and colleagues. I had purchased the rig in San Diego and took it out to NZ where there was not a lot of high end gear available at the time.

Fast forward 20 years+ and I have Ampeg's SVT Pro3 (USA) including several sets of NOS tubes, and old Bassman and Music Man amps. Not impressed with the Ampeg (sorted the tubes but other reliability issues) and the old ones were good - but old and a bit heavy.

I finely set up an older SansAmp PSA with a spare Carvin 1000 PA amp I had and it really works well. At the time I had just ordered the SansAmp RPM that lacks the memory, but got a deal on the PSA and liked it. The PSA is more a guitar preamp and of course handles bass excellently, but, not being particulally proficient with pedal ect.. the PSA is a bit much sometimes - though amazing for guitar.

The Mega Bass was simple, strong and flexible. Nice chorus on the top end of the cross-over, bi-amped etc

Archived