NBD - Earthwood Clone

BigPigPeaches

• Members

*BPP cautiously pokes his head into the forum*

So some of you may recall this thread:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Bass-Forum/Ernie-Ball-Earthwood-clone-Who-d-be-interested/td-p/30731876

It's taken the better part of two years.  Turns out, when you want to build something really big, you have to have really big tools to build it, like spool clamps, custom long-reach cam clamps, huge forms, large bending irons, etc.  So more than half my time in the interim has been taken up by building to tools that I need to build the bass.

This is a crappy picture of the end result.

Picture0042.jpg

Cosmetically, it has a long way to go because I consider this one a prototype.  It was made to troubleshoot certain areas (and there were a LOT of trouble spots).  I have not bound it, done final sanding, or finished it.  I'm considering adding in a side port on the upper bout.

It largely sticks to the design of the original Earthwood: bolt-on neck, 6" body depth, 34" scale, mahogany/spruce, maple neck.  I've added in corner bevels on the soundboard side of the lower bout to make the armrest area more comfortable, and a similar bevel to the back side of the lower bout and waist so that it sits more comfortably against your chest (cause that's how big this thing is).  I also added in a "cutaway" bevel to make upper fret access a bit easier.

The bracing pattern was originally identical to a 1974 'wood, but there was so much dip in the top that I had to disassemble it and add in some new braces behind the bridge.  Overall, the bracing pattern is surprisingly light.

I think it sounds good.  Very good.

Right now, it's in a phase of construction I like to call "sitting".  That's where I let it sit in one place, play it a couple times every day, check neck relief, top deflection and dip, and in general wait for it to explode.  You may laugh - I almost called the cops one night when the previous bridge design popped off the top.  I thought someone had fired a gunshot and I wasn't even in the shop.

Better pictures and maybe some sound clips will be forthcoming if everything continues to hold together.

I'm feeling pretty good about the thing overall.  I currently have two more sets of sides (padauk) that are already bent and waiting to be joined up.  However, I've made the decision that for future iterations of this, I am going to start making laminated sides out of veneer.  I would like everyone's input on that particular decision.

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

530abb3c3c542.jpg

• Members

ABG's are a real design challenge. Achieving a balance of ergonomics and unplugged volume is really difficult.

From what I can see, I like what you've done with the edge bevel in the wrist/arm area.

As for the sides...I'm sure someone will disagree, but I've never been able to hear any difference in sound between different side materials. Tops and backs and fretboards definitely, but sides seem to be just structural to me. Which is to say laminate should be good there, in fact it's probably stronger than solid wood.

• Members

Thanks for the input.  My main concern with laminated sides is the public perception that they are generally only used on "cheap" instruments, rather than any concerns about structural integrity.  In fact, if you alternate the grain directions of the laminate, your side will be stronger, less prone to waviness, and will maintain its shape better under climate changes.

Perfessor - I ducked out after the Big-Ass Shakeup a few years ago and never really got back into HC.  In addition to all the waves I caused by intentionally starting crap, I didn't care for the direction the forum took.  In the interim, I've mellowed out and don't plan on starting any more nonsense, but still not terribly on-board with the direction change.  However, I still would like to catch up with some of the old guard around here.

I am, in fact, planning on putting a piezo in, as well as a possible internal mike.  Right now I'm debating separate piezo sensors vs. one long bone saddle over a strip sensor.  I'd like to be able to control the individual volume of each sensor, but it's a logistical nightmare due to the brace positioning and the fact that I might have to drill through a brace to position an individual sensor. (also, I'm having difficulty finding a preamp for such a circuit). One of the first bridge designs I went through on this project had individual piezo sensors that were completely adjustable for height and intonation - that was the one that almost made me call the cops one night when I heard what sounded like a gunshot from the shop.  Turns out it was just the bridge popping off the top.

Thanks for the positive comments, gents.  I'll keep you posted.  I'm also about 95% of the way to being CNC-equipped, so there should be some interesting stuff coming out of the shop shortly.

• Moderators

lz4005 wrote:

ABG's are a real design challenge. Achieving a balance of ergonomics and unplugged volume is really difficult.

From what I can see, I like what you've done with the edge bevel in the wrist/arm area.

As for the sides...I'm sure someone will disagree, but I've never been able to hear any difference in sound between different side materials. Tops and backs and fretboards definitely, but sides seem to be just structural to me. Which is to say laminate should be good there, in fact it's probably stronger than solid wood.

A luthier once made a guitar with paper machier sides to illustrate that point. The sides don't contribute to the sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived