New Bass

isaac42

• Moderators

Last night I told my wife I was going to buy a new bass. Well, new to me.

"Must be something special," she said.

"Not really," I replied. "In fact, it's the fact that it's not special that's the reason I'm going to buy it. You see, I'm worried about taking a Ric on the plane. I doubt they'll let me take it as carry-on, and bad things can happen in checked baggage. Thngs get broken, things disappear, and I'd hate to have one of my Rics lost or broken."

So I bought an Ibanez GSR-200 for a little over $100, and I'll have it shipped to Louisiana, where the tour starts. I'll rehearse with it in May and June, gig with it in June. By July, I'll be back in Oregon, and I can switch it out for a Ric then, if I feel the need. And if anything happens to it, no big deal.

Why the GSR-200? Mainly price, and the fact that the neck seems rather Ric-like, judging from the specs. 41mm wide at the nut, which is wider than a typical Jazz bass (38mm), and not as wide as modern Rics (43mm), so ought to be about the same as my vintage Rics, which are about 41mm, maybe a little over. Additionally, the neck seems to be fairly thin, as opposed to my experience with Fender necks.

As for tone, on tour I'm going to be playing a lot of reggae, meaning lots of low end and not a lot of highs, so I don't anticipate tone being much of an issue.

So, does anyone know anything about these basses? Have I made a terible, terrible mistake?

• Moderators

There was one on Cragslist here, too, but she wants $200 for it. Well, technically, I suppose it's actually a GSR190, as it comes with the beginner's package, including an small amp, strap, tuner and stand. But one can buy the package for $180 new, so she's asking too much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

isaac42 wrote:

Last night I told my wife I was going to buy a new bass. Well, new to me.

"Must be something special," she said.

"Not really," I replied. "In fact, it's the fact that it's not special that's the reason I'm going to buy it. You see, I'm worried about taking a Ric on the plane. I doubt they'll let me take it as carry-on, and bad things can happen in checked baggage. Thngs get broken, things disappear, and I'd hate to have one of my Rics lost or broken."

So I bought an Ibanez GSR-200 for a little over $100, and I'll have it shipped to Louisiana, where the tour starts. I'll rehearse with it in May and June, gig with it in June. By July, I'll be back in Oregon, and
I can switch it out for a Ric then,
if I feel the need. And if anything happens to it, no big deal.

Why the GSR-200? Mainly price, and the fact that the neck seems rather Ric-like, judging from the specs. 41mm wide at the nut, which is wider than a typical Jazz bass (38mm), and not as wide as modern Rics (43mm), so ought to be about the
same as my vintage Rics,
which are about 41mm, maybe a little over. Additionally, the neck seems to be fairly thin, as opposed to my experience with Fender necks.

As for tone, on tour I'm going to be playing a lot of reggae, meaning lots of low end and not a lot of highs, so I don't anticipate tone being much of an issue.

So, does anyone know anything about these basses? Have I made a terible, terrible mistake?

You say "vintage rics" so I will go with you having 4000, 4001'(S). How could you!? Play an Ibanez instead of a Ric? Shame on you sir! Shame!

You have no honor. You are a "check mark" on the finish of a MapleGlo. A ding in the finish of a JetGlo. A streak on a BlueBurst. Ibanez!? Really sir!! The humanity.........

• 2 months later...
  • Members

After starting to play bass in 1973 Fort Lauderdale, David embarked on a quest for the ultimate in tone and playability. By 1976 he was performing Jazz, R&B, and Top 40 seven nights a week. The majority of his time was spent in wood-shedding, learning tunes, recording sessions, and tweaking his Fender Jazz basses. They were great instruments but he felt that he could improve on them. Having developed fine woodworking skills long before his bass playing adventure, it was inevitable that he would build his own basses. By 1978 he had built several excellent basses. In 1980 the bar was raised when David purchased a 1964 Jazz Bass that surpassed his previous efforts.     

australia death records

Archived