Crazy Bass Mod?

maarkr

• Members

Haven't done it yet, but I'm looking AGAIN for ideas for my 80's Yamaha p bass that I'm refurbing into a frankenbass... kindof.  It's been stripped down and awaiting modding and paint.

I'd like to put some built in electronics or the like and make it sound like something special... with all the pedals and electronics on the market, can't something be built in to a new kind of bass while keeping the same basic look?

Thow out some ideas here... nothing is too crazy as long as it may be possible to fit in the bass cavity or reasonably so. If I have to add a knob or two, or some other type of control, that's OK.

• Members

How about wiring each half of the P pickup to a separate volume control and a separate output so you can run the E and A strings to one pedal board and amp and the D and G strings to a different board and amp?

Or build in an effects loop and attach a Kaos Pad to the bass so you can do real time XY modulation effects.

If it doesn't have to be electronic you could go with 1/4 tone frets. That would franken things right up. 

• Members

I have a KP3 and a Kaossilator... the KP3 has nice fx but it's pretty big to build in. The kaossilator is more of an output only, but I wonder what the output would be tied into the guitar signal???

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If you have a large control cavity. You could take the electronics out of a fave compact effects pedal and install it in the instrument. Be sure to use the pedals input jack to replace isntruments so that pedal is turned off ansd not drawing power from battery when its unplugged. Youd also repalce the stomp switch with toggle switch for effect on and bypass. 

• Members

yeah, that would work... i could even rout out the cavity to make it bigger, but I'm not a long-time bass guru, so I could use suggestions for an fx pedal or stomp box that would have some compact electronics that may fit... I can figure out the wiring.  Some older box that I can get cheap on eBay would be nice.

Archived