Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes suggestions for Ampeg V4BH?

Anyone have suggestions for power and preamp tubes for an Ampeg V4BH? What have you tried and what tone did you get? Clean? Dirty? My amp's new, but I've heard the tubes the factory installs (Sovtek 5881WXT's and Goove Tubes 12AX7's - don't know who made the GT's) aren't the best for tone. I'd appreciate any advice.

Has anyone tried setting the bias themselves after changing power tubes? Is this something we can do or do we really need a shop to do it?

Thanks all, in advance.
    '75 Fender P Bass - '62 PUP
    '06 Fender Jazz Bass - '62 PUPs
    '62 Fender Jazz Bass (US RI)
    Mesa M-Pulse 600
    Ampeg SVT 410HE (2)
    Ampeg SVT 115E

Welcome to the Forum!

Here's one option for a retube set:

http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_64&products_id=458

You can buy a set of biased power tubes---most sets are sold biased or matched (same thing). I'm not sure about home biasing, so I'll leave that to others to respond.
    Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
    Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
    Attention Whore-T-broom
    I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
    Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
    grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
    Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

www.thetubestore.com

this place has alot of info on tubes too, great customer service too. their stuff ships very quick
      Hidden stuff is fun!

WTB: George L's 90 degree jacks (.155 Wire) - if you got some extra, PM me with an offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper
        Welcome to the Forum!

You can buy a set of biased power tubes---most sets are sold biased or matched (same thing). I'm not sure about home biasing, so I'll leave that to others to respond.

the V4BH has 6l6 in it . I think you would need mod it to run those 7027A.

I use Philips 7581's in mine strongest 6l6 type there is
        "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
        Nikola Tesla

Comment

I use a bias King , and the amp already has a bias trimmer in side , but don't get fried
          "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
          Nikola Tesla

Comment

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I haven't had an all-tube amp since...errrr...a loooooong time. What is a bias king? How will I recognize the bias pot inside (assuming I EVER get that brave)? Thanks, again.
            Mesa M-Pulse 600
            Ampeg SVT 410HE (2)
            Ampeg SVT 115E

Comment

I use a matched quad of Philips JAN 6L6WGB on my V4BH.
              I figured I would use them up before the younger USA GT's that were OEM.
              Never did find any trim inside....

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper
                Welcome to the Forum!

Those are for the original V4B which is altogether different. The Sovtek 5881s aren't bad but I'd recommend EH 12AX7s. They sound great and are cheap. Matching means the pairs of tubes conduct nearly identically. Biasing is done regardless of the tubes being matched. Even a single tube needs to have the correct bias.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                HC Geezer Brigade #150

Comment

Ampeg will email you the schematic if you need them
                  here's the main board , the trimmer is bottom center with the + in the center , sorry I don't have photoshop to highlight it

here's the trimmer again

here's a Bias King
                  http://biasking.com/

and here is a cheaper alternative
                  https://taweber.powweb.com/biasrite/br_page.htm

I highly recommend you have a tech walk you through it the first time .
                  Nikola Tesla

Comment

• vanabonzo
                    vanabonzo commented
                    Editing a comment

Hi Fretless

i'm andrew from Venice Italy, i have found this post that is old but is the only that i have found.I am trying to locate the bias trimmer on my V4BH, the photo you have posted are no longer visibile, can you send me a photo where i can see where is the bias trimmer?

Thank you very much for your patience

Andrea

My V-4B came with 6550s and I had to replace with Sovtek due to tube failure od really old tubes.

Not stock ones for a the V-4B/V-4BH but they sound great IMO.
                  "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not."-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks, everyone you guys have been a lot of help.
                    Mesa M-Pulse 600
                    Ampeg SVT 410HE (2)
                    Ampeg SVT 115E

Comment

Working...
                    X