Fender Precision vs. Jazz Basses, Differences?

Of-fender

• Members

I'm a nubee at bass (been playin guitar for a few years though) looking to find a good one. I'm looking for someone to help me out with the advantages and disadvantages of a Jazz bass or Precision bass'. Whats the difference in terms of tone and sound? I'm looking to get tones similar to Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, ect.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jack Bruce: Gibson or Warwick, lots of distortion.

Ox: Pbass. Loud.

Geddy: Ric or Jazz. Sansamp.

Actually you covered a large range of tones with those three guys. In their case, the tone comes from them more than the instrument. If you're starting out, a Pbass or Jazz will do you quite well. As you grow as a player, you'll start defining 'your sound.' At that point, neither of those basses may suit your needs.

• Members

I'm a Jazz kinda guy or with any bass with two PUs at the bridge and mid positions. Ya get more of a variety of sounds from a Jazz than a P and I personally think Jazzes are tighter, punchier, and better for articulation

For me, Precision basses are the "breasts" of the bassworld: they are fun to look at and even funner to play with but after awhile, I just want more of something else... :D

• Members

There is nothing bad about a Jazz bass. If you've heard different, THEY LIE. All of the greatest bass lines ever recorded were recorded on a Jazz.

Ps are nice too... so says George Porter Jr. and company.

I think you need both. OR, just buy an American Deluxe P. You'll get the Split coil and humbucking Js in the bridge.

• Members

Originally posted by oldivor

You're fingers must not work then.
;)

It doesn't matter if you play with a pick, fingers, slap, where you finger on the string, have a passive pickup, or active pickups - a basses "voice or voicings" comes from PU location in realationship with the string. Different fingering/picking/EQing can change the tonality of the voice but can not change the voice itself. For example: I can solo the mid PU on a Jazz, dick with the EQ a lil bit, and I have an instant P-Bass...However, it is physically impossible to make a P-bass sound like a Jazz bass

• Members

You're fingers must not work then.
;)

I don't think it's very controversial to say J basses are more versatile.

When people say P basses are a one-trick-pony the'ye trudging in bull{censored} territory though...

Sure, J basses are more versatile. It doesn't make them better, but it's true.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by DevilRaysFan

It doesn't matter if you play with a pick, fingers, slap, where you finger on the string, have a passive pickup, or active pickups - a basses "voice or voicings" comes from PU location in realationship with the string. Different fingering/picking/EQing can change the tonality of the voice but can not change the voice itself. For example: I can solo the mid PU on a Jazz, dick with the EQ a lil bit, and I have an instant P-Bass...However, it is physically impossible to make a P-bass sound like a Jazz bass

Sorry, that's not true either. You can pretty much make a bass sound any way you like. It's a matter of how far you're willing to go to get there.

I saw Yes a couple years ago and Squire sounded just like Squire.....even on his P-bass.

People still argue over just what basses Macca used on various Beatles songs.

People still argue over whether Geddy used his Jazz or his Ric on some of the Rush songs recorded before he went full-time with the Jazz.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Sorry, that's not true either. You can pretty much make a bass sound any way you like. It's a matter of how far you're willing to go to get there.

On some basses you have to go farther to get "there" than you do on others.

If we don't call this quality "versatility" what can we call it?

I'd expect this sort of argument coming from a P bass player.

Why do you own a P bass and a Ric then? You could just make them both sound the same since all basses are equally versatile, right?

Edit/

I'll just drop a smiley or two in here...

:wave:

;):D:wave:

:thu:

:)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by chunkathalon

On some basses you have to go farther to get "there" than you do on others.

If we don't call this quality "versatility" what can we call it?

I'd expect this sort of argument coming from a P bass player.

Why do you own a P bass and a Ric then? You could just make them both sound the same since all basses are equally versatile, right?

Edit/

I'll just drop a smiley or two in here...

:wave:

;):D:wave:

:thu:

:)

Wanker:D

I was simply addressing the "physically impossible" comment.

• Members

Originally posted by Lizzard Tom

I think you need both. OR, just buy an American Deluxe P. You'll get the Split coil and humbucking Js in the bridge.

+1

Yep, get one of these and have the best of both.

321734.jpg

+1. It's a good compromise. I've got a Franken-P-J and love it.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

I saw Yes a couple years ago and Squire sounded just like Squire.....even on his P-bass.

People still argue over just what basses Macca used on various Beatles songs.

People still argue over whether Geddy used his Jazz or his Ric on some of the Rush songs recorded before he went full-time with the Jazz.

While I agree that an individual's personal technique - especially a pronounced individual 'feel' if you will - will shape the tonality, its still not going to change the voicings. When Squier plays a P-bass, to me it sounds like "Squier playing a P-Bass", which is different than "Me playing a P-Bass". Squier playing a P-Bass still doesn't haver the same voicing as Squier playing a Ric with both PUs set on full-tilt boogie. I agree with the Geddy thing as well, although there are some songs where the voicings are pretty "distinct": I am willing to bet that the verses to "Vital Signs" are the Ric with the rear PU soloed..............I'm just sayin.............

• CMS Author

While I agree that an individual's personal technique - especially a pronounced individual 'feel' if you will - will shape the tonality, its still not going to change the voicings. When Squier plays a P-bass, to me it sounds like "Squier playing a P-Bass", which is different than "Me playing a P-Bass". Squier playing a P-Bass still doesn't haver the same voicing as Squier playing a Ric with both PUs set on full-tilt boogie. I agree with the Geddy thing as well, although there are some songs where the voicings are pretty "distinct": I am willing to bet that the verses to "Vital Signs" are the Ric with the one PU soloed..............I'm just sayin.............

Good points all. FWIW, Squire sounded *exactly* like he was playing the Ric. As in "close your eyes, can't tell the difference". IT was a little weird.....

• Members

The pickup location changes the harmonics. And when you play harder you add more harmonics. And personally it's harder for to get a p-bass tone out of a jbass then the other way around.

and did you just say, dick with the EQ? :freak:

• Members

The pickup location changes the harmonics. And when you play harder you add more harmonics. And personally it's harder for to get a p-bass tone out of a jbass then the other way around.

and did you just say, dick with the EQ?
:freak:

Pickup locations are based on the harmonic nodes...and playing harder just increases the tonal harmonic spectrum of the string, it still does not change the voice....and, as I explained above, I can get a P Tone out of J, or any mid/bridge PU combo anyday of the week by soloing the mid PU...I do it all the time .......I can never get a P-Bass to sound like a Jazz with both PUs dimed. Gibson, of all companies, understood this when they designed the Grabber with the sliding PU

...and I dick with the EQ because it makes me feel manly :D

• Members

Pickup locations are based on the harmonic nodes...and playing harder just increases the tonal spectrum, it still does not change the voice....and, as I explained above, I can get a P Tone out of J, or any mid/bridge PU combo anyday of the week by soloing the mid PU...I do it all the time ( especially for "fake upright" sound)..I can never get a P-Bass to sound like a Jazz with both PUs dimed

...and I dick with the EQ because it makes me feel manly
:D

I still that basses don't have THAT strong of a voice. But in some cases like active bass the electronics can extenuate it.

I'll make you a deal DRF.

You record a sound clip of a jazz bass with both pick ups on. And when I go home from college where I have my amps I'll make my pbass sound like it.

Archived