Scammers

james on bass

• Members

So I received an emial the other day from a guy inquiring about the GK amp I have for sale. I can usually smell the scammers from a mile away.

This one was a more personal email telling of how he likes GKs and used to have one etc...

I emailed him a bunch of pics. He emailed back today with the "I have to leave for the UK, but could you please send the amp to my brother in Indiana (address provided) and I'll send you a US money order I have received back from a failed transaction..."

I emailed him back saying I will send it tomorrow morning to the address provided and he can send me the money whenever he gets a chance as he sounds like a trusting sort.

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

So I received an emial the other day from a guy inquiring about the GK amp I have for sale. I can usually smell the scammers from a mile away.

This one was a more personal email telling of how he likes GKs and used to have one etc...

I emailed him a bunch of pics. He emailed back today with the "I have to leave for the UK, but could you please send the amp to my brother in Indiana (address provided) and I'll send you a US money order I have received back from a failed transaction..."

I emailed him back saying I will send it tomorrow morning to the address provided and he can send me the money whenever he gets a chance as he sounds like a trusting sort.

That's a joke, right? I mean, you're joking. Jokey joke joke?

Please??

• Members

I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple months ago. The guy even paid to have UPS come pick it up, but I refused to give the bass to them until I had the money. I also reported the guy to the USPS because he was claiming to have a USPS online money order, no such thing exsists. This guy told me he lived in Houston, but when I asked the UPS guy where it would have been shipped and he said "Nigeria".

The frustrating thing is this happens all the time, hundred's each week, and I don't see that it'd be very hard to catch the scammers. One thing I did enjoy was the guy emailed me back and asked if they had picked up the bass, I replied "no, but two US Marshalls showed up and said that they had been tracking your computer's IP address for weeks, what's the problem?"

Hopefully that at least caused him some anxiety. I hate frickin' thieves...worthless people.

• Members

Originally posted by Vincent Liou

my friend once bought a spy camera on ebay but he didnt get it. Even sent money, so i dont really trust ebay.

Oh yeah... your friend.

:D

My friend had the same problem buying used women's footware on ebay.

:(

• Members

Originally posted by willsellout

Hey how much are you selling the GK for?

I had 2 offers (real ones). 1 for $400 CAN, the other for $350 US.

I think common sense has overruled GAS though. This 20 year-old workhorse is going to stay with me a bit longer. It's already outlived about a dozen basses, so I think I would be seriously kicking my ass real hard in a few months if I sold it.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

tylytle wrote:

:freak:

Always money 1st, THEN send amp. But I have trust issues. Well Actually I have a freakin subscription.
:D

Unfortunately even that doesn't always work. Convenience banking laws require banks to assume a "negotiable instrument" (personal check, cashier's check, money order) is good until it isn't, and it can take up to 90 days for a fraud to be detected, especially if the issuing bank is foreign. Then, the liability is on the customer; the fraudster's long gone, usually way outside U.S. jurisdiction, and the bank isn't about to take this kind of thing on the chin.

When I sell gear, which isn't often as I tend to like what I buy, it's either cash or a postal money order. Cash is king of course, but it typically requires a face-to-face transaction. Failing that, a postal money order is hard to fake (they have almost as many security features as a modern $100 bill), and the USPS isn't holding any of your money hostage; you walk out with cash, and they can't make sure your rent doesn't go through two months later if a fraud is discovered (though if they think you're complicit in the fraud, you may not have to worry about rent for 10 to 20 years, so always be as sure as you can that everything's on the up and up).

Archived