Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Should A Church Bass Player Get Paid

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the reason we have flip flop rehersals is because the church i play for(i wanna tell you which church but i dont want this forum to haunt me!)has two locations. we alterante between the two churches every month, therefore every mont we flip flop rehersal days, and that aint even a given( i know i said aint) our m.o.m might call a mass rehearsal and that just throws off stuff also.the chuch motto is two churches in one location.
    Conklin Groove Tools Bill Dickens Signature model for sale.. buy it damnit!

Comment

Did I miss something? His first post said:

... i currently dont make 15,000 a year playing here, ...

So what do you make a year? Everyone is responding like the salary is 15,000 a year.

As far as being paid as a musician in church, as far as I know, it is standard practice to pay the organist in smaller and medium sized churches. I think they are taking advantage of you because you are young. It's good that you're starting to question the arrangement.
      Yamaha RBX1000 with EMG P/J set and BQC system
      Fender Mustang Reissue
      Boss TU-2, GEB-7, CEB-3
      Genz Benz GBE600
      SWR Son of Bertha (1x15)

Winner BPOTD: 04/22/2004 and one sometime circa 2003
      Winner Funkee1 (a.k.a. bassgeek) MP3 of the day: 04/02/2004

Comment

That is a great idea! You've got a built in band and set-list. Try to pick up some other gigs at some other Christian functions. The church will probably make some time allowances for it, since you would be advertising the church (as the so-and-sos from such-and-such church). Something like that could really bring in some more income, more contacts, some students (if you're interested in teaching).

I have a sneaking suspicion that this church wouldn't allow them to gig outside the church for money, or they would ask them to give them the money they earned.
        C7
        Subliminal aggression - C7 has it. -Incubitabus

One time my gig bag and everything in it mysteriously got covered in urine while it was in my home. I want to blame the cats but my wife is crazy sometimes. -Davedblyoo

C7... HCBF's resident pompous dick with a claw hammer. -Hearafter
        Winner!! T-Broom's Inaugural HCBF Funny MF Award 10/6/06
        Winner!! Thumper's 'HCBF Gutter Poet' Award 6/17/07

"Oh my god...C7 You are so rock and roll, it's not even funny." -bassgirl9

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion that this church wouldn't allow them to gig outside the church for money, or they would ask them to give them the money they earned.
          C7

What makes you think that?
          Warwick Infinity NT5
          Ric 4003
          Ric 4003S/5
          Zon Legacy Elite V
          Ampeg SVT-CL/810E
          MarkBass CMD 102P
          Ampeg BA-210SP
          Ampeg BA-112

"HCBF's own atypical religious fanatic raving liberal lunatic" - Rippin' Robin

Comment

Did I miss something? His first post said:

So what do you make a year? Everyone is responding like the salary is 15,000 a year.

after taxes i make a 14000. i had a "meeting" with the pastor scheduled, but the minister of music called me over the phone instead. we takled, he said the church isnt able to do anything but the thing that really got me was that the pastor deciced to send an informant instead of taking time out of his schedule to meet with one of his employees that he works with on a weekly basis. i really feel that he dosent value me as an individual. i asked for monitary help or any kind of help to help get a car. i dont need a bmw, just something with wheels and heat, ac, and is safe!i think its time for me to start shopping around.
            Conklin Groove Tools Bill Dickens Signature model for sale.. buy it damnit!

Comment

What makes you think that?

You catholics are shady people.

Comment

after taxes i make a 14000. i had a "meeting" with the pastor scheduled, but the minister of music called me over the phone instead. we takled, he said the church isnt able to do anything but the thing that really got me was that the pastor deciced to send an informant instead of taking time out of his schedule to meet with one of his employees that he works with on a weekly basis. i really feel that he dosent value me as an individual. i asked for monitary help or any kind of help to help get a car. i dont need a bmw, just something with wheels and heat, ac, and is safe!i think its time for me to start shopping around.

Yeah, if he won't talk with you face-to-face, he's not respecting you.
                Yamaha RBX1000 with EMG P/J set and BQC system
                Fender Mustang Reissue
                Boss TU-2, GEB-7, CEB-3
                Genz Benz GBE600
                SWR Son of Bertha (1x15)

Winner BPOTD: 04/22/2004 and one sometime circa 2003
                Winner Funkee1 (a.k.a. bassgeek) MP3 of the day: 04/02/2004

Comment

Credit in heaven...
                  Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
                  Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
                  Attention Whore-T-broom
                  I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
                  Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
                  grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
                  Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

Yeah, if he won't talk with you face-to-face, he's not respecting you.

Or he is embarrassed...
                    "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Must Ignore obvious parody thread Must Ignore obvious parody thread Must Ignore obvious parody thread Must Ignore obvious parody thread..........
                      "Many (bands)have retooled with that marketing concept in mind without understanding that the party experience is supposed to be for the audience and NOT themselves" - wheresgrant3

Still HCBF's reigning "Sexiest Forumite"....Dont hate me because Im beautiful

DRF On MySpace

Comment

Float that turd on OJ.
                        "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

IME, the answer would be "never."
                          "I LOVE YOU LONGTIME!" - lug
                          Take that IWLP, I win! - collinwho
                          If I wanted facts I'd read wikipedia. - collinwho
                          Winner of oldivor's post of the bla award! - 4/24/06
                          Winner of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award!!! 4/4/08

HCBF Hierarchy (according to lug)

Admins -> Lug -> Super Mods -> Mods + BOALG -> Hall of Fame Members -> Senior Members -> Members -> Junior Members -> SubJunior Members -> Mikgag & I_Want_A Les_Paul

Comment

I have played in church for many years; some of it for free and some of it for pay. The going rate in my area is $50 per service. We do not get that because our Pastor says the church can't afford it. Our Praise & Worship group gets $40 per service. Our group leader is the music minister and is on salary; she however has more duties than just leading our group. We have the same musicians on a pretty regular basis but the number and mix of singers varies. None of us actually gets paid; the money goes into a checking account that we use for a pizza party now and then or maybe to buy equipment for use by our group.

There are two issues that I have not seen addressed in this thread; how much do the other musicians get paid, and what about establishing a "per hour" rate instead of a salary. I understand that you are trying to be a full-time musician, but quite honestly there are very few who can do that. I know you don't want to hear this but I think your pay is good for the number of hours that you actually work. On my regular job I was "on call" 24 hours a day and never got any extra money for that arrangement. I did get extra pay if I had to report in and do some work, but nothing extra to "stand by". I was also an "adjunct" professor at a local college and even then I got paid only for "contact" hours, (those hours that you are actually in front of the class). There was no pay for hours I spent preparing for class or for hours I spent grading student work. This is not unusual and is the typical arrangement.

I suggest you meet with your Pastor and tell him that you need to increase your income to survive and that means that you will be accepting other work. If that other work conflicts with his needs for you at church then there will have to be compromises made. You are at a career crossroads and if you intend to be a full-time musician you will have to expand your work world to include earnings that come from sources other than the church.

JR
                            I've had enough of folks who don't know what they want, but are very good at knowing what they don't want.

Comment

At what point was a gun put to your head forcing you into this gig??? Were you making more somewhere else and promised the same salary here?

You stated earlier that you're very young, so I'm gonna give you some old man advice....with anything in life, whether it be work, women, bands, whatever; if you think you can get a better deal elsewhere, then by all means go get that deal. Otherwise quit whining and do the job you agreed to for the money you agreed to.

You seem so insistent that you're being hard done by. So leave. Nobody is forcing you to do this. If anything, get them to have a consistent rehearsal schedule so you can get other jobs. But unless that too was something that didn't exist when you signed on, you need to just deal with it.
                              "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

At what point was a gun put to your head forcing you into this gig??? Were you making more somewhere else and promised the same salary here?

You stated earlier that you're very young, so I'm gonna give you some old man advice....with anything in life, whether it be work, women, bands, whatever; if you think you can get a better deal elsewhere, then by all means go get that deal. Otherwise quit whining and do the job you agreed to for the money you agreed to.

You seem so insistent that you're being hard done by. So leave. Nobody is forcing you to do this. If anything, get them to have a consistent rehearsal schedule so you can get other jobs. But unless that too was something that didn't exist when you signed on, you need to just deal with it.

Well yeah, there's that too.

Hey, you asked, and you got your answer, and you understood it to be what it is. Your church doesn't value your work as much as you do. Go play your bass somewhere else.
                                You'll likely find higher quality worship elsewhere as well.
                                C7
                                Subliminal aggression - C7 has it. -Incubitabus

One time my gig bag and everything in it mysteriously got covered in urine while it was in my home. I want to blame the cats but my wife is crazy sometimes. -Davedblyoo

C7... HCBF's resident pompous dick with a claw hammer. -Hearafter
                                Winner!! T-Broom's Inaugural HCBF Funny MF Award 10/6/06
                                Winner!! Thumper's 'HCBF Gutter Poet' Award 6/17/07

"Oh my god...C7 You are so rock and roll, it's not even funny." -bassgirl9

Comment

Working...
                                X