Ashdown Mag 300 Help!!

davidj

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of bind here at the moment. I've had this head for about three or four years now... Actively using it in a band situations for that entire time. A few months back, the volume would cut, still could hear it, but very quiet and muffled. I e-mailed the guys at Ashdown and they told me to flip the fuse on *I think* left hand front side. It worked, no volume cuts, lasted a few shows and for rehearsal today it crapped again. We have a show tomorrow night and I need to find out what kind of fuse it would take... The back panel says 120V 15A. I'm completely clueless about this stuff and wondering if replacing it will help. I would prefer to get it working right as all of my tone and effects are dialed in perfectly. The guitarist has kindly offer use of his Ampeg BR100 but I want to avoid using it if at all possible. Not enough time to get out there, test, EQ, pack and play a show with. I'm sure it's a good amp... but I'm not too terribley partial to reinventing the wheel when it's been a smooth ride thus far. Thoughts? Thanks... Much appreciated. :cool:

-David

• Members

Alright, does the little VU meter light up and show input, but nothing comes out of the amp at all?

OK.

Unplug the amp. This step is crucially important.

Slide the amp out of the case forward, and there's a circuitboard on the left hand side if the amp face is facing you. There are two tiny little fuses on top of it, replace both of them. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE INSIDE THE AMP WITH ANY PART OF YOUR BODY. You could get shocked BAD or killed even if the amp is unplugged.

Radio Shack has them, they're $2 for 4 of them.

Hope that helps, this same thing happened to me with my MAG300.

C7

• Members

Exactly!

Do you know what kind of fuses? I don't have it in front of me right now. It's at our rehearsal space. Thanks man, I really appreciate your response.

No clue off the top of my head, I can't really get to them either. They're tiny little fuckers, be careful when you pop them out that you don't bust off the clips. Just take them into Radio Shack and they'll be able to identify them, or email Martin at Ashdown and he'll know.

Don't feel bad, you're probably the 10th person I've helped with this on here over the last 2 years. It's a common problem. I fucking panicked when it happened to me because it did it the day after I sold my back up amp.:D

C7

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I know this was years ago now, but this just happened to my MAG300 combo too. 

Once you're in to the amp, the 2 fuses are on the circuit board to the left as the other poster mentioned, on the right hand side of the circuit board itself, in front of the 2 large black capacitors. 

The fuses read "T6.3AL:250V" - basically an anti-surge (T) 6.3AMP (6.3AL) fuse. You'll need 2 of them. 

You can get them from Maplin, or try http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cartridge-fuses/0563425/?origin=PSF_419317|alt

Archived