Rickenbacker 4001 Bartolini Mute p/up

Jim-Bass

• Members

Hello all, I've been away a while ... went to log in a short while back but forgot password & email address had changed. I raised this Q on another Forum, I don't think I have here ...

I've put my '78 Rickenbacker 4001 in the shop to get a Bartolini 6JH String Mute Compartment pickup installed. Just askin for comments if anyone has done this, or heard one. NOTE: I do not expect anything big ... not a pickup u could play alone. And I realise it may not be genuine 'Ric' sound so that's why I'm having a Tone knob reassigned as it's volume. It's only something to add definition to the existing big two. I discussed all this, and the pickup selector options, with Matt ( the mod man ... best in town here!).

So, any comments?

• Moderators

I have one, but I've never used it. I probably should give it a try.

Incidentally, I also have an old Hi-A mute compartment pickup, which I also haven't ever hooked up, though I used it for years in the neck position on my 4000. Sounded great there.

• Members

Cheers Isaac

Ok, have just picked it up. I like this .... absolutely no visible change to the bass (Ric owners like myself are very fussy about altering the appearance) and the sound is a lot hotter than I expected. Still playing around with it ... the good thing is that the Ric will now get played a lot more.

IMG\_0551.jpg

• Members

issac;42, what stings do you use on the Ric? I've always used Nickel Rounds or Pressure Wounds, & once or twice Flats. A friend has suggest Stainless Steel Rounds to get a brighter sound ... I use to use them all the time on my Fender P & J but then found Nickel better for me on those basses ... what do u think, SS's on the Ric worth a try?

Archived