Blisters

Thumper

• Members

I play finger style, and I've been busy lately--3 hour rehearsal Thursday, and then 5 hour gigs Friday and Saturday nights.

I'm a bit out of shape. I was soaking my plucking fingers in a double-shot glass of 151 rum toward the end of the gig last night (hey, it helped :D).

I've got rehearsal again this week, with another weekend gig to follow. Does anyone have any tips on avoiding post-gig blisters?

• Members

Suck it up old man! :p

When I get out of the groove, I'll switch fingers more (only use "the Hook") or use a pick more often. I'm not sure if there is any cure other than keep rolling with it. Maybe you should try drinking the rum instead of soaking in it. :idea:

Good luck.

Yo.

• Members

I've got rehearsal again this week, with another weekend gig to follow. Does anyone have any tips on avoiding post-gig blisters?

Make friends with a pick. Seriously. Rehearsals are to make sure everyone knows the material, and you can do that playing pick style while your hands toughen up from the blisters, and not worsen them up before your next gig. Save the real work for the gig, and pick away during the week. Once you get a blister let it heal naturally without any further aggravation, and that will help develop a good callous.

• Members

no suggestions for you except to try to use your other fingers more. what i do is use multiple fingers at once. it makes it a little easier.

i have just switched back to flats this last week and after the 2 gigs this weekend, 3 of my fingers are bruised under the calluses. i always dig in a lot harder when i am playing flats. i'm not going to play for a few days.

good luck

• Members
Make friends with a pick. Seriously.

Yep. When it's been a while, I'll always bring a few pics with me when I know that I'm going to be playing for more than an hour or so. I'll play as long as I can stand it and then take out the pick -- not messing your fingers up too badly makes the process of toughening them again up much more pleasant.

• Members

Make friends with a pick. Seriously. Rehearsals are to make sure everyone knows the material, and you can do that playing pick style while your hands toughen up from the blisters, and not worsen them up before your next gig. Save the real work for the gig, and pick away during the week. Once you get a blister let it heal naturally without any further aggravation, and that will help develop a good callous.

Toughen up soldier. DO NOT RESORT TO A PICK. Picks are for guitarists and the occasional studio effect. Put some scotch tape over the blister, or do a few shots of scotch before rehearsal. I used to have this problem every year after my band would take a month off for the summer. Super glue never worked for me, but give it a try. Something you might consider is boosting your volume so you can pluck more lightly. However, the faster you dig in and play through the pain the quicker you will build up the calluses that won't wussy up.

• Members

Superglue might work, allthough it can be harmful if you use it a lot.

As for avoiding the problem alltogether: If you find that you dig in too hard, both turning up the volume of your amp, and using a compressor is highly reccomended. I've noticed that I play much harder now these couple of months I've been without a compressor, and it is a lot tougher on the fingers. I'm actually going to pick up a EBS MultiComp in a couple of hours, and I am pretty sure I will notice the difference.

• Members

There is this stuff in the climbing world called moleskin. It's basically designed to cover up blisters or prevent them from happening in the first place. I'm not sure if it'd work on your fingers, as you might lose too much feeling, but it is guaranteed to help you out. I put it on my heels before a long hike.

You should be able to get it in the aisle that sells foot care stuff at your local store. Otherwise, they should have it at most outdoor stores.

• Members

Thanks, all.

I just need to man up and get my calluses back. :D

I'm not much of a pick guy. The Traynor is plenty loud enough (I haven't had the master volume past 5 lately), so I really don't need to hit the strings as hard as I do. I have a tendency to pound them a bit as the night goes on.

• 5 years later...

Archived