First Bass

Scott Strat

• Members

I have always wanted to learn how to play a bass... well, it looks like I'm well on my way. I snagged a Yamaha BB300 today at garage sale for $60.00. It is in great condition. A friend at the music shop said it looks like it had never been played. It's getting new strings and a setup. Can't wait to get started.

• Members

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I will be taping forum members on the shoulder from time to time. I visit youtube on regular basis, but I'll need additional advice and recommendations on things. I'm hoping to get it back from the shop today or tomorrow. This is so exciting...

• Members

My first Bass was a Silvertone...Made by Danelectro. One lipstick pickup. I paid $50 for it at a music store in Houston, second hand. Wish I still had it. Could totally nail Entwhistle's tone on "My Generation: with it. Wasn't until decades later I learned he'd used a Danelectro on "My Generation"

Gawd I wish I'd kept it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm having a hard time remembering what my first bass was. I was mainly a guitar player and bass was a second instrument. I typically kept one around so bassists had something to play.

I know I found a Hofner in bad shape which I restored to semi working condition. I had a bunch of el cheapo's like Kingston and Tesco basses. I'd buy them for like $20 at a flea market, fix them up for students and sell them off to beginners.

Decent basses, I had a friend who I'd traded instruments for a period of time then trade back. I had one of those clear body Dan Armstrong's, a 50's precision, 60's Jazz Bass, all kinds of great instruments.

I know I had a owned a 60's Precision for about a year then a new 70's Tele bass. Then I owned a 60's SG bass for about 6 years during the 80's when I played out live allot. Had a few generics in between like a Memphis precision and some others. 1990 I bought a Squire II precision which I still have then the short scale Gretsch, Hofner and a Washburn all of which I still have. I typically play with my fingers but switch to a pick when my fingers get sore. I may go a week or so without playing then I play a whole lot in a short time when recording and the callouses on my picking fingers don't last.

Best thing you can do as a beginner on bass is play with other musicians as soon as you can.

You can loose interest playing bass quickly if you aren't playing with others and can put those notes to use.

Learn to play along to recordings, learn your songs note for note if you can. Pick songs which are challenging to learn but not overwhelming.

Eventually you can take some lessons and develop some common genre's. Walking bass is used in Rock and Blues, Slap bass for Disco, Funk, and even Metal. Within a few years you shouldn't have any problems getting paying jobs from bands. Good bassists and keyboardists are always in demand for bands. Guitarists are a dime a dozen in comparison.

Archived