Looks as though I might have to play guitar again.

isaac42

• Moderators

Had to part ways with one of our guitarists. Hoping to find another guitarist or keyboard player, but no luck. But there's a guy, friend of the band, bass player who's filled in for me on occasion. So the idea is, he takes over bass, and I move to guitar and keys. Should be interesting.

• Members

I take it you'd rather play bass? So would I. There's something really satisfying about playing bass, the thick strings, holding down the rhythm of the band. I played bass in a country band for a short while, and was perfectly content to bounce from root to fifth as long as the band sounded good. It's nice to be able to hear myself too, something that's not always possible when I'm the 'other' guitarist in a wall-of-noise band.

• Moderators
I take it you'd rather play bass? So would I. There's something really satisfying about playing bass, the thick strings, holding down the rhythm of the band. I played bass in a country band for a short while, and was perfectly content to bounce from root to fifth as long as the band sounded good. It's nice to be able to hear myself too, something that's not always possible when I'm the 'other' guitarist in a wall-of-noise band.

Yeah, I'd rather play bass. Ideally, I'd be a Geddy Lee-type player, with bass, keys, foot pedals and maybe a double-neck with bass and 12-string necks. And, to tell the truth, I'm better at bass than I am at guitar or keys. I'm also (I think) a better bass player than the guy we're bringing in, but, on the other hand, I'm probably a better guitar player than he is, too, and nobody else we know plays keys, even at my rudimentary level. Not havong to play the bass line will free me up to be a better keyboard player.

• Moderators
What type of music does your band play Isaac?

Usually it's the other way around - guitarists are a dime a dozen, but good bass players are tough to find.

Classic rock, mainly 70s stuff. I'm surprised that we haven't been able to find a new guitarist, too. That's usually the easy one.

• Members

Best of luck with the band. I get not being able to play the instrument you want to play but it's great that you're multi talented and flexible. Back in the day (70's for me), bass players were scarce and in in high demand and guitarists like me were common as dirt. Keep us posted.

Archived