What Bass Cab do I need that can handle a GK Goldline 500?

skrulewi

• Members

Hello there, I'm very new to using loud setups and heavy setups... I've been a keyboard player for years, and recently started a new project that is extremely loud with super-low, distorted keyboard bass tones. I destroyed my Roland KC550 Keyboard amp last year, and so have been switching over to Bass gear. I got a cheap 1x15 used peavey cabinet from the local store, and was using a friend's cheap bass amp, but then I upgraded my amp to a GK Goldline 500, and, one hour into playing, smoke poured out of the cabinet. So, lesson learned... I'm not using it again until I actually have a cab that's rated for it.

I am a total newbie beginner to matching bass amps with bass cabs. What cabinet do I need to get so that it won't be melted by the GK Goldline 500 (The gain and volume were both set about 5, but the input was a loud fuzz keyboard bass tone)?

• Moderators

It is a 500W class D amp @4 ohms, so you need a cab that is rated to handle at least 500W and...4 ohms [or two 8 ohm cabs].

Most bass speakers are not designed to reproduce a distorted signal, so keep that in mind.

• Members

You've got a couple of options. That amp is 350 Watts into 8 Ohms and the difference between 500 and 350 Watts is 1.5dB, which is negligible. If you go for an 8 Ohm cab you'll have the option of adding a second 8 Ohm cab down the road but the amp can't handle a load lower than 4 Ohms, which is typical. Not many amps can. Your Peavey cab probably has a 15' "Black Widow" speaker in it, meaning it's rated for 350 Watts. If it was the 4 Ohm version your amp may have been too much for it. As daddymack mentioned, bass amps are designed for clean signals. Distortion means extra harmonics that wouldn't normally be present and extra work for any HF driver that might be present. That may be what got fried.

Your cheapest option would be to stick a new speaker in your existing cab. The Celestion Pulse 15 is rated for 400 Watts: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/celestion-pulse-series-15-inch-400-watt-8ohm-ceramic-bass-replacement-speaker?source=3WWRWXGB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4oTAi5nW2QIVhkNpCh16HQXPEAAYASAAEgL90vD_BwE&kwid=39474984916x42814104161x151905500. As long as you choose the 8 Ohm version you should be fine. It'll run you around $120.

Beyond that, what's your budget? There are cabs that will do the job for roughly $350 and up. Here's a sampling: https://www.sweetwater.com/c577--Bass_Guitar_Amp_Cabinets/low2high?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQb3dlciBIYW5kbGluZyI6WyI0NTBXIHRvIDgwMFciXX19. Again, I'd recommend an 8 Ohm cab in the interests of future expansion but that's up to you.

• Members

I have a Dr.Bass 212D with TRD 200 control Tweeter. It's run with a SWR 4004 Workingmans. It was the closest sound I could find to my SUNN 300 Coliseum. I am a strict SS user. When I first got into my first semi successful band I left my head on the top of the car and it flew off the car. Went back picked it up. Arrived plugged it in and it worked perfectly...

Archived