No announcement yet.

Epiphone Thunderbird set up

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Thunderbird set up

Howdy Everyone, I play the electric bass, I tried to make set up my own Tbird .The three screw of the bridge are confortable and the action seems right,I dont know how to adjustment the truss rod or dont make it? thanks for answers

I can't tell much from your pics but it's not that hard. Borrow a capo if you don't own one, and put it behind the first fret. Press a string down at the last fret. Find a place that's about halfway in between, say the 8th fret, and slide a feeler gauge between the string and the fret to see how big the gap is. Fender recommends 0.010-0.014". Rickenbacker recommends zero relief but personally I disagree based on the geometry of a vibrating string. In any case you don't need much and if you do want more or less relief turn the truss rod adjustment a small amount, 1/4 turn or less, and let the neck settle before you measure again. If it won't turn leave it alone. Remember too that if you make a change in relief the bass's action will change too.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
      I can't tell much from your pics but it's not that hard. Borrow a capo if you don't own one, and put it behind the first fret. Press a string down at the last fret. Find a place that's about halfway in between, say the 8th fret, and slide a feeler gauge between the string and the fret to see how big the gap is. Fender recommends 0.010-0.014". Rickenbacker recommends zero relief but personally I disagree based on the geometry of a vibrating string. In any case you don't need much and if you do want more or less relief turn the truss rod adjustment a small amount, 1/4 turn or less, and let the neck settle before you measure again. If it won't turn leave it alone. Remember too that if you make a change in relief the bass's action will change too.
      I agree, and I play Rics almost exclusively.

Another factor is how hard you play. The harder you play, the more the string vibrates, and the more relief you need. Players who hew to the "play softly and let the amp do the work" school need less relief than those who really dig in.
      "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
      -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
      -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
      -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
      -- Theodore White

Comment

Working...
      X